Volume Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hutchingsp, Jan 15, 2003.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a new receiver, a NAD T741.

Until now I've only ever had amps/receivers with "7am to 5pm" hard volume controls (by Hard I mean the knob would stop turning).

The NAD has a freely rotating volume control, the minimum volume is -61db, not sure of the maximum. A normal listening level seems to be around -18db.

I have no idea how hard I'm driving the thing as the numbers mean nothing to me - for example, if the scale starts at -61, by implication will it go to +61?

I've mailed NAD (Lenbrook) as I've found their service department to be very helpful, I thought it would be a good idea to ask here as well.

regards
    Paul

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the volume control is setup to display db's, 0 is the reference level i.e. the level before the amp starts to distort the sound and for AV receivers should be factory set to 75db which is bl**dy loud. They are often not set right so you should set it with a sound pressure meter to get all the speakers balanced properly.

Don't worry about driving it to hard just has long has you don't start going high into the +db's and even then I don't think you would need to worry to much about your setup, just your neighbours :D

I don't think your amp will go to +61, mine which is a Marantz goes from -61 to +15 so its not has simple has -61 to +61 like I said 0db is the reference level with -61 on your amp being silent, so you should really treat max has 0db which should equate to 75db all things being set correctly.

Hope this has helped rather than confused you ;)

3. kennrc

kennrc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting discussion...

I have a Sony STR-DB1080QS which starts at -100db and tops out at 0db. Thus I can't go into the + range.

Is this uncommon ?

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Most amps that I have used go into the "+" range by a few db's. That is unless the speaker gains have been increased. The NAD T770 that I had rolled back the absolute max by the amount of gain increased on your speakers. Perhaps this is why your Sony doesn't go past 0db?

I suppose it doesn't matter anyhow, as long as you can get to the required volume without distortion.

As for driving the amp hard, I dont think you are. The db is just another way of displaying volume. The A1SE that I heard was set to -15db in a fairly average room.

Russell