1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume query.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jstn, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Jstn

Jstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little confused, I had an Marantz stereo amp for CDs which did 50 RMS. When I got the volume about half way it was ear splittingly load. Now I have a Surround sound amp which does 75 RMS, but I can get upto about the last quarter of the volume while using the same CD player, cable and connects etc. before it gets very load.

Surely this isn't right according to my terrible math at half way the 75 RMS should be louder than the old 50 RMS amp. Or is it a difference between a pure stereo amp and a home cimema surround amp?

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thats one of the reasons. Someone here will be able to give you a satiafactory answer. Try also doing a search on this site for power amp to find out more info.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    2 things:

Watt does not equal to volume. Though of course to get more volume you need more Watt, but driving at the same level (say normal listening in your room) there would be no difference between a 10 and a 1000 Watt amp. A more powerful amp would just allow for more headroom (more dynamics) or more volume when you turn the volume control - given the speakers can cope.
    Secondly you can't directly compare two different amps, same output power or not - because there are many other factors to consider which will directly influence the volume levels reaching your ears (e.g. gain). As well the position of the volume knob has no meaning if e.g. one amp uses a linear and the other one a logarithmic control.

As well note that DVDs have a different level recorded than CDs, i.e. DVDs usually require the amp to be turned up further if no dynamic compression has been engaged.
    That said on my amp CD is pretty loud in the 9 o'clock position while DVDs require to be be turned up to around 11 o'clock whereas 12 o'clock would be the maximum I would want to go with DVDs, for CDs the 11 o'clock position is usually more than enough.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    This is possibly because the Marantz Stereo amp had inputs which were more sensitive than the AV Amps. Also the gain in the pre-amp section of the AV Amp is possibly lower. Finally the "rated" output of the two amps while 50 and 75 RMS respectively don't give a true picture of the expected real output ... you'll find the AV Amp in real life use, is a lot lower.

Basically though when you're compairing the position of the volume control on two separate pieces of equipment (unless calibrated to THX reference or similar) you are comparing apples and pears.

Victoria