1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

volume output from amp (dropping lower) than before ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Aug 25, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have noticed recently on my 3802 that i need to increase the volume more than i used to for 2 channel modes ie tuner/cd/etc now need volume at about -17db aprox where about a month ago (-17db) would have been very loud, fronts are set to -3db (a previous setting i think was +3db , not certain if amp is (going on the blink) or how i can tell if there is an amp problem any advice would be welcome, thank you

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The reason the amps sounds quieter is the fact you have the levels set at -3db, which is now 6db lower than before when it was +3db.

Theres no problem with the amp.:)

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i was using 3802 with cdm1nts 50-120watt 88sens fr/res 60-20 set up to -75db with spl (not sure but as i recall it was about +3 for fronts) have sent b&ws back to service dept to check them out) i am currently using old m/short speakers sens 89 fr/r 60 watts 15-200 set up tp -75db with spl , so it is the differance in speakers that are affecting the settings???? the master volume setting now, as regards older settings, thanks again, ps when i demoed 3802+cdm1nts cd only direct mode, the volume setting on demo amp was -10 to -15db, when i tried this at home this setting would have been far to loud, (as you kindly state there is 6db differance re-3 to +3db which alters how volume level is (percieved)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The sensitivity difference between the two speakers is only 1db, so theres a slight difference. Usually the higher the sensitivity, the higher the perceived volume at any given level. E.g 91db sensitivity speakers at -25db on the volume will sound louder than 88db sensitivity speakers at the same volume.