1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume on the AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Sheepman, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Sheepman

Sheepman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am not sure if I have a problem with my AVR300 and DV89 setup.

Severl strange things have happened recently. When I turn the AVR300 on from standby it goes through several displays 'ARCAM' --> 'Initializing' and then shows the volume level (and then 'clicks' one of its relays)

Weird thing no. 1: When I recently turned the unit on from standby and adjusted the volume dial on the unit between when it said initializing and going to the volume display, when the unit 'clicked', instead of showing one source, the DVD, Satellite (in fact the first 5 source lights from the left hand side were all on). I could not press any button at all and in fact, the only thing I could do was stitch the unit off and then switch on again.

Weird thing no. 2: Do CD's and DVD's have a 'recording level' the same way that compact cassettes do? The reason I ask.. when playing some CD's I have to play around 80 - 90 db to hear any sensible volume level. When I play DVDs this is not the case and I can quite happily play around 70. Now this is not the same with all CD's - some seem loud enough played at lower levels than others. Could this be a problem with the amp or the DVD player, or is this just the normal behaviour of recording levels?

Also, when playing the lower level CD's the amp does seem to have a problem with its channeling. What I mean is that you can hear the same instrument move from one channel to another and the amp seems to have real trouble setting the volume level...

any ideas anyone?

(Just to complete the setup, all the speakers are calliopes with the bass modules in front, running the the amp set on its 4-6omp impedence level).

Thanks in advance

The sheep in the long grass....

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Weird thing no. 1: When I recently turned the unit on from standby and adjusted the volume dial on the unit between when it said initializing and going to the volume display, when the unit 'clicked', instead of showing one source, the DVD, Satellite (in fact the first 5 source lights from the left hand side were all on). I could not press any button at all and in fact, the only thing I could do was stitch the unit off and then switch on again.
    I notice this sometimes. It's clearly an intermittent bug so hard to cure.[/B]

Weird thing no. 2: Do CD's and DVD's have a 'recording level' the same way that compact cassettes do? The reason I ask.. when playing some CD's I have to play around 80 - 90 db to hear any sensible volume level. When I play DVDs this is not the case and I can quite happily play around 70. Now this is not the same with all CD's - some seem loud enough played at lower levels than others. Could this be a problem with the amp or the DVD player, or is this just the normal behaviour of recording levels?
    Sure, one cd is louder than another. But it seems the AVR300's preamp/steering levels are rather low, what I did was a) fiddling the analog input level in setup and b) setting speaker levels to +10dB.
    Of course a) is not the most elegant solution as digital inputs will still be rather soft, and cds (especially pop music) will blast your ears off...

Also, when playing the lower level CD's the amp does seem to have a problem with its channeling. What I mean is that you can hear the same instrument move from one channel to another and the amp seems to have real trouble setting the volume level...

any ideas anyone?

(Just to complete the setup, all the speakers are calliopes with the bass modules in front, running the the amp set on its 4-6omp impedence level).

Thanks in advance

The sheep in the long grass....[/QUOTE]

3. Sheepman

Sheepman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barend,

thanks very much for the reply, I shall indeed have a look at the adjustments for the analogue inputs and adjust them accordingly!

SITLG