1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

volume on optical

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Elektron, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Elektron

Elektron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am tending to find that now i have my system set up and playing a dvd I have to turn the amp up quite along way to get the voulme to a reasonable listening level. ie on the tv connected via audio jacks the amp level is about -65db but when using the dvd connected via optical it has to be about -37db. is this normal or am i missing something?

Setup
    Yamaha DSP-RX640SE amp/processor
    Yamaha S530 DVD player
    Yamaha 10MM Speakers X4
    Yamaha NSC-80 Centre speaker
    Yamaha YSY-SW40 Sub.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you tried the dvd connected in any other fashion? It is possible simply that the level coming from the tv is high, that wouldnt really surprise me

ad

3. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, how come I have to turn my Denon up to -10 or higher when I'm listening to DVDs? Am I doing something wrong? :|

4. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ben - my denon's usually cranked to about -15 to -20, don't worry just sit back and enjoy!

M

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    It's normal. Telly broadcasts & CD's tend to be about 15% louder than DVD. Just turn the amp up until you are happy with the DVD volume. :)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    The sound level from DVDs - the discs themselves - is often 'lower' than from other sources. Because the dynamic range is so great (compared with TV, say, where it is compressed).

7. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ is connected to my Pioneer amp with both analogue audio cables and optical digital toslink. Before anyone asks why.... I initially had basic Sky connected via audio leads, when I upgraded to Sky+, I used the optical digital connection for the Sky Movies Dolby Digital output. Since I now had a spare set of audio leads and spare inputs on the Amp, I decided to connect both ways for comparison. Obviously, these are both from the same source to the same receiver, but still give a very noticeable difference when you switch from one to the other..... the analogue connection being much louder. Although they both show the same db reading on the amp, the sound from the analogue audio leads is about about 10db higher than the optical digital.