Volume mismatch between Sony TV and AV Receiver or HDMI Soundbar.

Does volume mismatch between AV Receiver and TV bother you ?

• Yes

• No

• Hadn't noticed

Results are only viewable after voting.

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
I'm considering buying a 2021 Sony OLED tv but I would like to know something before i do that isn't easily tested in a shop.

Can anyone who uses a "2021 Sony Android TV" with an AV Receiver or HDMI soundbar please let me know if ;

With CEC enabled on the TV and AV Receiver ( or HDMI Soundbar ) does the volume number on the TV match the volume level ( number ) on the AV Receiver or HDMI soundbar ?

I have an old 2015 Sony Android TV with CEC enabled and when I adjust the volume with the TV Remote both of my AV Receivers ( Sony and a Denon ) display a different number ( level ) to what the TV volume number is.

For example ;

using the Denon AV Receiver the TV will display the volume level at 20 but the Denon will show 13.

using the Sony AV Receiver the TV will display the volume level at 20 but the Sony AV Receiver will show 12.

I also have an LG oled TV and when adjusting the volume on that with CEC enabled and plugged into either of the AV Receivers, the LG TV just displays a volume + or - which I think is much better.

Hoping sony has finaly done something similar or maybe even matched the levels on both, especially with eARC.

Anyway yeah i appreciate your help, does the mismatch in numbers bother anyone else ?

Thanks

Jsfw

I've got a X94J connected to a STR 1080 and they work together fine . The TV automatically knows what is connected to it , Sky Q etc .

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
I've got a X94J connected to a STR 1080 and they work together fine . The TV automatically knows what is connected to it , Sky Q etc .

Thanks for the reply.

Yes my old 2015 TV knows whats connected to it like sky and ps4 etc... BUT the volume numbers on the TV and the AV Receiver are mismatched.

Do the volume numbers match on your X94J and your STR1080 ?

So if you turn the volume up using the TV remote, do the volume numbers match on both. Like 10 on the X94J and 10 on STR1080 ( matched :clap:)

Or are they random, like 10 on the X94J and 8 on STR1080. ( mismatched :suicide:)

And obviously at different levels like like 26 on the X94J and 20 on STR1080. ( mismatched :suicide:)

Thanks again

Jsfw

Thanks for the reply.

Yes my old 2015 TV knows whats connected to it like sky and ps4 etc... BUT the volume numbers on the TV and the AV Receiver are mismatched.

Do the volume numbers match on your X94J and your STR1080 ?

So if you turn the volume up using the TV remote, do the volume numbers match on both. Like 10 on the X94J and 10 on STR1080 ( matched :clap:)

Or are they random, like 10 on the X94J and 8 on STR1080. ( mismatched :suicide:)

And obviously at different levels like like 26 on the X94J and 20 on STR1080. ( mismatched :suicide:)

Thanks again
They are a couple out but nothing major . Doesn't bother me , I don't listen with my eyes !

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
Does anyone have an AV Receiver that supoorts eARC that they use with a 2021 Sony Android TV ?

I'm wondering if perhaps with eARC the numbers might match up maybe.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
There are no TV manufacturers that pay attention to that sort of detail so it's unfair to point the finger solely at Sony.
Most people will select a TV on the quality of the picture and sound.
No, it doesn’t bother me and the vast majority of owners I suspect.

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
🤣

You asked me why it bothers me and I answered you. 🙄

Where are you getting your information from that "no TV manufactures" pay attention to that sort of detail ?
I would argue that most do, and I would include Sony in that too. The only detail Sony have missed ( in my opinion ) is the mismatch in volume issue, and as I said in the 1st post LG have "paid attention to that detail"

I wasn't pointing any fingers at anyone, I was asking a question about Sony TV's because I was considering buying a Sony TV.
If I was considering buying a hisense, panasonic or philips I would of asked about them instead.

I'm sure it doesn't bother you and that is wonderful, I am very happy for you. :thumbsup:

It does bother me though which is the whole reason I asked the question.

Theres no need to be rude and throw a wobbly 😅. You don't work for Sony by any chance do you ?

Do you even own a Sony TV and an AV Receiver or HDMI soundbar ?
You have posted in this thread twice now and have still not answered my orginal question or been helpful in any way whatsoever.

Are you one of those who just likes to start arguments for arguments sake ?

If you were actually offened by me asking the question, I do appologize most intently and I do very much hope that you have a speedy recovery.

P.S.... I just ordered a Sony TV.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You asked…
“does the mismatch in numbers bother anyone else ?”
“Given the choice would you not choose to have yours matched instead of mismatched ?”
I wasn’t rude, I answered.

GMDM

Standard Member
The volume on my soundbar connected through eARC mismatches that shown on the TV (XH95) more often than it matches it. Not sure why but I put it down as a very minor irritant rather than something I'll let bother me.

Strawbs2018

Novice Member
My receiver doesn’t do eArc, but it has the volume mismatch and is a constant source of headache to me. My last LG and Samsung TV’s synced with my Onkyo A/V perfectly, but this Sony is a dog in that regard. I will buy a new A/V when I can actually get one, but the chip shortage has stopped me doing so since I got the TV.

MJNewton

Get your OCD in check

If only it were that easy! (It's akin to telling someone suffering with depression to cheer up ;))

I can certainly sympathise with the OP, and perhaps it's a good thing for me I've got a soundbar with no display on it!

Strawbs2018

Novice Member
My receiver doesn’t do eArc, but it has the volume mismatch and is a constant source of headache to me. My last LG and Samsung TV’s synced with my Onkyo A/V perfectly, but this Sony is a dog in that regard. I will buy a new A/V when I can actually get one, but the chip shortage has stopped me doing so since I got the TV.
Received a new DENON X4700H this week and finally finished adjusting everything to my liking (for now 😉)! I can report that the X90J now syncs the volume perfectly w\ the A\V, which proves the issue was w\ my previous Onkyo A\V and not the TV.

oblongOOblinkers

Standard Member
Received a new DENON X4700H this week and finally finished adjusting everything to my liking (for now 😉)! I can report that the X90J now syncs the volume perfectly w\ the A\V, which proves the issue was w\ my previous Onkyo A\V and not the TV.

That's interesting.

Thank you for letting us know :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom