1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume levels on Yamaha 650/750

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve 111, Aug 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just set up my Yamaha 650 having upgraded from a Yamaha HTR5540, and have noticed that to get to my ideal listening level I now have to turn my 650 up to c.-30dB whereas on the 5540 it was more like -45dB.

Anyone else noticed this, or does -30dB seem about right for other 650/750 owners?

2. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably because Yamaha have changed the volume range/display on the new range of receivers. I think your old 5540 only went upto 0db whereas your 650 goes upto +10/15db.

3. pjh777

pjh777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 750 connected to a set of Monitor Audio B4 (7.1). I'm not at all happy with the volume on DTS or 5.1 soundtracks. To be able to hear plain dialog clearly I need the volume set to -20 which when the soundtrack then pumps up this is insanely loud.

Constantly adjusting the volume while watching a film is not ideal t all!

Had problems watching all 3 Matrix films and Master & Commander. If I set the volume where the effects are bearable, the dialog is very very faint.

Now I know about Night Mode, and I could in theory boost the center speaker level (I have) but is this a problem with me, the DVD, the DVD player or my speakers?

pjh

4. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed this too, when watching Gladiator, again though it must be me but obviously not.

I'm running Kef Eggs (5.1) and a Denon 2200 DVD player connected to the amp via a digital coax only.

5. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjh777 - have you tried either the speaker test tone or a test disc/thx optimiser to see if all the speaker levels are correct. The auto setup generally does quite a good job, but you should check it afterwards (ideally using an SPL meter) to make sure that all the speaker distances and levels have been set correctly.

steve 111 - same applies to you as well, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the centre speaker on the Kef Eggs is poor and very difficult to set up correctly.

6. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjh777 are you using a matching monitor audio centre speaker? If not that would explain the problem. Especially if the centre uses a soft dome tweeter compared to the brighter more in your face sound of the metal tweeter used with the Monitor Audios. And the KEF egg centre hard to set up? Having worked for a dealer i never found this problem as all five eggs are the same. No reason for it to be hard to intergrate unless you have a funny shaped room which could make it a little tricky to set up but nothing to taxing to solve.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    A SPL meter is a godsend. Yesterday I used the YPAO on my setup and it still was out and the yamaha didnt even catch that i had the speakers wired up back to front with the power amp. The speakers where all within 5 db of each other as well. Its good but not perfect.:lesson:

8. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here's a quote from 1 of the threads I found that I based my comment on (sorry can't work out how to paste a link to that thread :confused: )

Thread:- My dialogue/centre channel is alway's lost in the mix ??

I can't comment on the Kef Eggs myself, but the above quote does replicate exactly the problem that pjh777 has.

9. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I used to have a yamanha rxv800 and the volume was at -30/35db, now with my pio ax5i i had up -15/-20, so i think its a normal level,

10. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends if rscott4563 had full range speakers before that? and say his wife said i want something smaller in the room. Which they always do. Because lets face it as good as the kefs are they are still only satellite speakers, so they are a step back in that respect if you are used to better equipment. That i cannot deny. So i don't know if thats what has happened with pjh777. The only other thing that comes to mind problem wise i had with a customer was when he home demoedthe kefs at home he came back with a similar problem. In the end after going out to his house we found his room was very large indeed. Hence the little kefs were having trouble filling the room with sound as they cannot move enough air. Which going to Q1's and a Q9c centre from kef which rscott4563 did would have solved the problem bescause the larger drive units would have been able to shift enough air to do the job. Boy it is tricky though to get the right gear for a room at times.