Volume, left/right speaker

roman700

Hi

After some recent tinkering and shuffling around of the components that I have, and the room, I have a set-up that am largely happy with, except for one problem which I'll describe in a moment.

The speakers are Dali Zensor 1, and the amp is a Roksan Kandy KA1-mkiii. A Rotel T11 tuner is the source most of the time. The room is small, but not tiny.

I'll try to describe this best I can (currently I am elsewhere etc)....if the volume knob on the Roksan is at 0%, there is no sound. If it is at 5%, there is sound from just the right speaker. If I give it the lightest of touches from there and edge it up to 6%, sound comes from both speakers.

For some listening that I will be doing, the volume at 5/6% is OK, but for other times, it's just a bit too loud.

Is there a fault or something I can fix here?

If I had to describe it even simpler, I'd say that the volume on this system can be off, medium, high,.......but no low!

Thanks for any pointers!

DT79

Distinguished Member
Hi

After some recent tinkering and shuffling around of the components that I have, and the room, I have a set-up that am largely happy with, except for one problem which I'll describe in a moment.

The speakers are Dali Zensor 1, and the amp is a Roksan Kandy KA1-mkiii. A Rotel T11 tuner is the source most of the time. The room is small, but not tiny.

I'll try to describe this best I can (currently I am elsewhere etc)....if the volume knob on the Roksan is at 0%, there is no sound. If it is at 5%, there is sound from just the right speaker. If I give it the lightest of touches from there and edge it up to 6%, sound comes from both speakers.

For some listening that I will be doing, the volume at 5/6% is OK, but for other times, it's just a bit too loud.

Is there a fault or something I can fix here?

If I had to describe it even simpler, I'd say that the volume on this system can be off, medium, high,.......but no low!

Thanks for any pointers!
This sounds like an issue with an analogue volume potentiometer. I think they are susceptible to imbalances at low levels, although it’s not inevitable. I’d call it a QC issue. I had the same thing on an Arcam Alpha 8 many years ago, albeit it was more like <1% and never troubled me.

If it affects you in normal listening then if you’re still in warranty you should return it or get it fixed. If you’re out of warranty then you can get some in-line RCA adaptors that will reduce the level of the incoming signal from your source so that you are using more of the amp’s volume range, which should avoid the issue. I forget what they’re called now.

DT79

Distinguished Member

Nico72

You may need one pair of attenuators for every source which connects to the amp, but you mention only the tuner anyway.

roman700

Thanks, yes, it's a bit annoying - they're quite pricey. I have a bluetooth receiver (occasional use) and a CD player (rarely used), I'll try to get by with just one pair for now on the tuner. I bought a pair earlier today, second hand, let's see how they work when they arrive. It sounds like they will be very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom