1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume Knob....OK to go over half way?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by s8n187, Sep 23, 2004.

1. s8n187

s8n187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it OK to go over half way on the Volume dial of a high power Amplifier (150x2)....i think i read somewhere its bad for the amp or speakers....i cant remember correctly....

any help appreciated

s8n

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    There is no hard & fast rule on this I'm afraid. Many parameters come into play, speaker impedence at certain frequencies, speaker efficiency, speaker positioning and so on can all effect how much power you can use. I generally find that my Arcam 45 watt/pc amp does not need to go anywhere near the 12 o'clock position before pissing off my neighbours. Most amps deliver full power way before the end stop of the dial and in fact go into 'clipping' (very bad for speakers) way before this.

Cheers, Mylo

3. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    like mylo has said it all depends on differant factors, ive just baught a cambridge audio 640 azur amp, a massive upgrade on sound quality over my old yamaha, however the power it puts out is alot less, so i regularly find myslef going to the 3 o clock position, but the amp tells me when it goes to clipping so i know when to back it off, and if it gets too hot then it switches off to cool down, good saftey measures, just so long as you hear no distortion of the clipping kind you should be find for short periods of listening, and long spells should be good as long as the amp stays cool enough...