1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume Issues when playing DVD on surround system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevecc, May 16, 2005.

1. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can help me....
    I have recently purchased a Sony STD-DE697 Amp, with ST-SDB900 Tuner and a basic CD player, with SAVE835ED speaker set......

All is connected fine, to a Sony KLV-L32M1S LCD TV, and CD playing is top sound qaulity.
    However, when i play a DVD, I have to put volume to 65 (max is 75) to get a good listening volume.....where as when I play a CD, i cant go much above 35 as it is too loud!!

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I have done the trouble shooting in the Amp guide.....but still no joy?
    Maybe this is an experience thing, as I am new to seperates....
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  3. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that harry.....
    It just seems strange.....
    On my previous set up, I used a simple pro-logic midi system, and the sound - regardless of whether I was using a CD, or playing a DVD through the Stereo - or listening to SKY, was always pretty constant.

I just cant beleive that I have to more or less max out my amp to get a good volume when playing a DVD!!?!?

However, as stated in my previous message, I am new to seperates, so just wondered if I was doing anything wrong?

4. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have played a CD through the DVD player, and although it is significantly louder than a DVD, it is still not as loud as when you play it through the CD player. At the moment, the CD is on my seperates stack, and connected directly to my AMP, but the DVD is indirectly connected to my AMP via my TV.....would this make any difference? Am I missing anything?

I am sorry if any of the above is stating the obvious, but as I said I am new to seperates.....a novice if you will! Any input would be appreciated.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You should connect your DVD player direct to the amp via a digital lead, either optical or elelctrical. Your handbook will tell you how. It will then process your Dolby Digital signal properly. It sounds as if you are using analog connections as you would for a pro logic amp which is not how this amp was primarily designed to work.

6. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info....I really appreciate everyone's feedback! I am really keen to experience the true sound that a seperates system will provide, and you guys are obviously experts in this area!

I will connect the DVD direct the AMP....and see what happens....
    Watch this space!

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Steve,
    As CM says, you should connect the DVD player to the amp via a digital connection. For the purposes of this exercise, the DVD player should also be connected via analague.

What we need to do, is remove some of the variables that could be producing volume descrepancies. I would expect, when connected as above, the volume from both the CD player and DVD player to be equal.

I am not familar with your amp, but does it have the ability to have adjustable input gain?

8. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry, thanks for your info.

I am not sure what you mean by adjustable input gain? I am sorry, i am not hugely technical, and new to all this!!

I will be aiming to re-connect by DVD to my Amp this evening, and we can see how that goes. The reason I originally connected the DVD to my TV (and then TV to amp) was so that I could listen to a DVD just through the TV, and not the amp, as sometimes the wife isn't keen on having the amp on for a girlie film! :)

Do you know of any way I can connect DVD to amp, (to TV using compoment and digital out) to gain volume, but have ability to watch/listen to a DVD just through the TV when needed?

Your help, as always, is appreciated.

9. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you know. :lesson: DVDs are inherently "quieter" than CDs and Sky as they are recorded with the capacity for actual dynamic range unlike CDs which are ramped as loud as possible in the endless search for 'loudness' :thumbsdow

That said, a digital connection should help and make the difference a bit less dramatic.

10. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mandel,
    I kinda thought that DVD's were quieter than any other form of output.....hoping that digital out will help as I said I have to max amp out (almost) to get a good volume on DVD!! Watch this space!

11. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to everyone for your feedback, advice and idea's.

The DVD player is now connected direct to my AMP with digital leads, and the volume/quality of sound is now excellent. The DVD volume is now as load as any other component, and Dolby Digital is fantastic!

Once again, thanks to everyone who have helped with this! :clap:

12. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Glad we could be of help! :)