Question Volume control with 9.2 avr + 2 channel power amp for atmos

maxwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to add two extra channels to make my setup 7.2.4 atmos, I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 and am going to add a 2 channel power amp using the pre-outs from the Yamaha to feed it so it will give me the 4 Atmos speakers instead of 2.
So what about volume control for the power amp, will I need to adjust it separately from the Yamaha each time the main volume is adjusted or will I need to set it at maximum and just use the main volume control on the Yamaha

Most power amps don't have volume controls. You just adjust the trims in the AVR to level match the speakers connected to the power amp to be the same as those connected to the AVR.

If you do use an amp with a volume or variable gain setting, you would set it once and then leave it as the volume would be managed by the AVR moving forward.

When you are setting things up for the first time, use an SPL meter or SPL smartphone / tablet app to get the volume of the speakers on the power amp to be as close as possible to the volume of the speakers on the AVR, then run the auto calibration on the AVR to fine tune things.

Most power amps don't have volume controls. You just adjust the trims in the AVR to level match the speakers connected to the power amp to be the same as those connected to the AVR.

If you do use an amp with a volume or variable gain setting, you would set it once and then leave it as the volume would be managed by the AVR moving forward.

When you are setting things up for the first time, use an SPL meter or SPL smartphone / tablet app to get the volume of the speakers on the power amp to be as close as possible to the volume of the speakers on the AVR, then run the auto calibration on the AVR to fine tune things.
Excellent post just what I needed to know thanks

I've just done the same thing with my Marantz AVR and a spare Denon integrated amplifier I had already. I set the volume to 50% and tone controls to flat and let Audyssey do its thing - the extra two speakers level check just fine once re calibrated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom