Volume Control of HK AVR 330 with Siri Remote (2021)

gr8fuldee

Novice Member
Hi! I’m new here, any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I recently purchased the new 2021 Apple TV Siri remote, honestly mainly for the mute button. When I first got it, the volume and mute functions DID control my receiver, but I messed with the settings somewhere and now those functions do not work.

I have my Apple TV 4K (5th Gen) connected via HDMI to my Vizio TV and the Vizio TV is connected to a Harman Kardon AVR 330 with an optical cable.

I have reset every device (Vizio TV, Apple TV and the HK AVR). I have two Apple TV’s, however, and the problem doesn’t seem to be there, but possibly within the AVR settings — I do not know this for certain though. I have followed Apple’s online guide for linking the new remote and have spent hours and hours and hours talking with Support. All other functions of the new Siri remote are working to control the Apple TV, as well as the power to the Vizio TV.

Thanks for any help! Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

- Delia

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Potentially the Apple TV remote can control a receivers volume either using signals sent via a HDMI connection or the old school way of sending an infrared signal. Being as your HK predates HDMI then the only possible way for you is to use IR which may require a decent unrestricted view of the HK to work.

Apples support site has the following guidance of programming the IR codes necessary and says the following

"Program your remote for volume
If volume control doesn’t work automatically, you can manually program your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote:

On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control.
Select Learn New Device.
Follow the onscreen steps to program your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to control volume for your television or receiver.
Your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote can control volume for either your television or your receiver, but can't control both simultaneously."

Copied from here

gr8fuldee

Novice Member
Hi, thank you for your reply! I did try these steps several times and set up the new Siri remote as “custom” to control the receiver and TV power. It still won’t control the volume or mute, however…. 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom