1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume control for power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by m0v1em4n, Jul 6, 2005.

1. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,

Any one have any ideas on how to incorporate a volume control into a power amp,

What I would like to do is

I have a clarks transducer ( Check out here if your not sure what they are) bolted to the bottom of my La-zy-boy, :D and i would like to use my Rotel RB-981 power amp to power it, But I need to be able to control the volume and my power amp has no volume control, any one have any ideas :confused:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What you need is a (stereo) pre-amplifier or perhaps a passive volume control that sits between the source (subwoofer output of the AV amp I assume) and the power amp input.

Check this out if you are handy with a soldering iron: http://www.dact.com/html/passive_preamp.html

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or butcher an old pair of headphones with an In-Line volume control.

Solder plugs to each end and use it on the feed to the power amps inputs.

4. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,
    I also have a Clark Synthesis transducer, and I've used it for a few years now (and at one point I had two),
    I think you will find that for the best performance you will need to mate it with a low-pass crossover as well as a volume control.

Otherwise you will find the transducer will reproduce some higher frequency sounds, which just become distracting/annoying, rather than adding to the movie experience.

In my setup I started out by using an amplifier from an unused sub, it had the crossover control (which I turned all the way down) along with a volume control, and it worked brilliantly.

However I now use an 'Active Sub Bass Filter' (bought from www.BKelec.com ) which I had lying around from an abandoned project (in conjunction with an otherwise unused amp channel).

Another option, if you can find one, is the Paradigm x-30 as supplied to Servo-15 sub owners.
    I hope it helps,

Paul.

5. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Lads Thanks for your replys :smashin:

Hi Paul,

I to have had this unit for a while, and have been using an old amp but I now have a Rotel rb-981 amp doing nothing and thought I would use it for that duty, all be it over kill I suppose, My Trasducer is being feed from the LFE channel so the unit only gets bass will check out your link,
    Seem to remember that when Home cinema choice did a review on these Transducers they use some thing that filtered out the highs

Thanks

Steve