• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Volume control doesn't work on Humax 9300T

slicendice

Standard Member
Hi
I recently bought a Humax 9300T and connected it to the TV (LG LH325000) via HDMI. When I operate the volume control on the Humax remote, it shows the volume bar on screen, but it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to the volume. I have to use the TV remote if I want to actually change the volume.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some connection wizardry that I have missed?

Thanks

nvingo

Distinguished Member
You're doing nothing wrong.
The Humax volume control only affects the output via TV scart.
Output via VCR scart and HDMI are at constant level.

slicendice

Standard Member
You're doing nothing wrong.
The Humax volume control only affects the output via TV scart.
Output via VCR scart and HDMI are at constant level.

Thanks for the info - I wasn't aware of that.

Is that peculiar to Humax? Or does it go for any device connected via HDMI?

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info - I wasn't aware of that.

Is that peculiar to Humax? Or does it go for any device connected via HDMI?
I don't know.
I suspect the 9300 inherited the volume control feature from the 9200, which does not have HDMI. The volume control is implemented at the analogue audio output stage. Since HDMI simply carries the digital (audio) signal as extracted from the broadcast stream, it would need quite a re-jig to to decode, adjust volume, and recode that data.
I don't know about other HDMI devices, but I understand there is an HDMI feature where the source device can control the volume level of the output device, ie. not by adjusting the volume level of the signal, but by instructing the amplification level of the TV.

Fried Egg

Standard Member
I don't see the point of using the volume control on the humax anyway, especially if you have other devices (like DVD) connected to the TV. Surely it's better to control the volume in one place...otherwise you'll end up with the tv's volume really high, the humax down low and a huge volume differential switching between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom