1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume code nw hd5h

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by zObO, May 15, 2005.

1. zObO

zObO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the volume code work on the new nw hd5h or nw hd5?
    or is the volume already loud...

2. Toffe

Toffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a wolume control on the NW-HD5, but you can remove it in the same way you do with NW-HD3, as it is explained in some other thread here on the forum.

3. ThomasWGreen

ThomasWGreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am unable to follow the procedue as set out in the NW HD3 thread as it specifically tells the user to press and hold the mode button, which is not on the NW HD5.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Tom

4. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of pressing the mode button press the Menu/Search one

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Start the player. Start playing a song. Turn the HOLD function on by sliding the swich
    at the top. Then, Hold the SEARCH/MENU button and enter the button sequence:

Right, Right, Left, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Up, Down.

Let go of the buttons, and put the HOLD switch back to its original position.
    The backlight will cut out and you'll be in the service menu with "POWER" displayed.

Press DOWN a few times to select OTHERS and press Right to get into the menu.
    Keep pressing down until you get to SP SET (Sound Pressure Setting).
    Press Play/Pause to get into change the option. Then press SEARCH/MENU to
    toggle the option on or Off (obviously, Off is for louder sounds).

Then either hold STOP or remove the battery to get the player out of the
    service mode. For some reason, you'll have to go back into the player's options
    to manually turn the backlight on again after doing this.

Maybe this should be stickied... the other thread is from the HD3 and has grown to a pretty large length...

6. apfraats

apfraats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the HD5 and found this trick to circumvent the EU volume-limiting setting.

So now if I enter the service-menu , the SP SET is set to OFF. I''m sure about that.

The problem is that the volume in normal operating mode is not improved.

In fact it really doesn''t matter if SP SET is ON or OFF (yep, I pressed PLAY to store to setting each time).

By the way the BACKLIGHT can be turned on in the service-menu with the option SHIP. Just press PLAY here and the backlight turns on..

Strangely when I enter the service-menu VOLUME GOES UP VERY HIGH !!

But in normal operating mode is back to maximum low-level.

Is this maybe due to new firmware ?

More people where this won''t work ???

Anybody any suggestions about this problem ?

Thx in advance,

Antoine
    :lease:

7. rlabrown

rlabrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did the whole code, when service menu came up volume was louder, but when i came off the menu and went to play again, volume was the same as before!

any advice?

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanted to test your theory - and nearly f*****g deafened myself!!! Yes, the volume DOES increase slightly in Service Menu. So I set the SP SET to ON again, having turned it off weeks ago. I then returned to normal mode, whacked the volume to full, and could bear it at that level. Back into the Service Menu, SP SET to OFF, then returned to normal playback.

BE WARNED: THIS IS A VERY, VERY, VERY STUPID THING TO DO!!!! The volume was so loud it could've deafened someone standing on Mars!

So, yes, Lyris, let's have a sticky for sure on the whole volume hack thing (which, btw, works on HD1s, too!).

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is this increase in the volume due to the firmware upgrade? Have you all had the new firmware installed on your HD5's? If this is the case I'd rather stick to the firmware on it if it doesn't give any probs. While we are on the topic can anybody tell me whether the firmware upgrade just gets rid of some bugs or whether there are added features too? thanks :)

10. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There does seem to be a hitch with updating the firmware. I unlocked the volume when I had the origional firmware and noticed the difference, but then when I upgraded the firmware, I noticed it went back to the lower volume - even though the SP SET menu still said OFF. Just now, after reading shadowritten's post, I went back and turned it on then off again and it's back to normal.

So basically, just confirming what shadowritten said - I just didn't understand exactly what he was saying when I read it the first time.

11. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, I had trouble understanding too - but now I have the same trouble with your reply - not that I'm thick, but when you say 'back to normal' do you mean back to the factory set low volume or back to the SP OFF with the higher volume that you set it to on your original firmware?

12. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By back to normal I mean back to the louder volume. Basically if you'd done the volume unlock then changed firmware, the lock gets put back on - but it doesn't reset the SP SET to the "ON" state, it still displays "OFF". Change it to "ON" then power down. Power back up, change it to OFF again and power down one more time. Then when you power back up, it should be louder.

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, I don't think I've been my usually clear self on this one, have I? Let's recap:

I bought my HD5H 30 days ago, and the first thing I did (even before charging!) was delimit its sound - so basically, switch SP SET from ON to OFF.

I later upgraded the firmware to ver. 1.2, and then again double-checked that SP SET was still OFF (i.e. delimited) - which it was, correctly, btw.

Today, I did a test. I entered the service menu, set SP SET back to ON, and restarted the player. I then pushed the volume to the max, and found it loud but bearable. THEN, I went once more into the service menu, switched SP SET back to OFF (so, delimited the volume again), then restarted the player and resumed playback at full volume. It was this that I advised against doing, as it is RIDICULOUSLY LOUD - and will probably do your ear drums lasting damage.

Fingers crossed, this should now be clearer.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing: it's not just the backlight setting that gets changed (i.e. switched off) after entering service menu: repeat gets set to ON, and playback is switched to ONE SONG.

Don't know why ...

15. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's as clear as it can get, shadow. I wouldn't say it's rediculously loud though. At least mine isn't. I travel on busses/trains/planes a lot so the louder the better. Maybe I'm just immune... or deaf... :D