1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voltage converters

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Anchovy Front, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Anchovy Front

Anchovy Front

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody travelled to a country where the voltage is 110 instead of 230? I am off to the Dominican Republic (110V / 60Hz) in a few weeks time and want to take the camcorder, but can I buy a converter or something so I can charge the batteries while I am there? Also has anyone any idea of the type of plug they use over there as I will have to get an adaptor.

Regards, The Ignorant-of-all-things-electrical One :D

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help with the plugs I'm afraid but virtually all camcorder battery chargers these days can operate between 100 and 250 volts, have a look on the label of your charger it should quote the full voltage range that it will work on. The difference in frequency will not affect a charger.

I've travelled much of the world (but not the Dominican Republic) with a travel adapter which has the continental two pin input and the American two flat pin type and the only place it could not be used was in South Africa where they use the old fashioned British 15 amp three pin socket. Most countries seem to use the continental two pin socket for electric razors so you can usually recharge in the bathroom if no-where else.

If you do decide you need a voltage converter thay can be obtained from people like www.keene.co.uk (browse to 'products' and then to 'power products') but I don't think they will ship to Spain, no harm in asking though.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I'll backup what Beejaycee has said. I've just got back from USA and charged both my digi camera & camcorder with just a plug adapter which should be available at the airport, if you can't get one before.

Mark.

4. Anchovy Front

Anchovy Front

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi beejaycee and Mark. Thanks for that. I have looked on the back of the charger, which is on a Sony TRV 14 and plugs straight into the camcorder to charge the battery and it says 100 - 240V 50/60Hz 18W, so I assume I just plug it in as normal, using whatever adapter fits the sockets over there. I thought it would damage the recorder if the voltage was different, but you've put my mind at rest. Thanks!:clap: