Vollans Home Cinema, Australia

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kitschcamp, Jul 23, 2018.

1. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi all,

We bought our house back in March, and one of the key reasons for choosing the house was that it had a room that we thought it would be ideal for setting up as a home cinema. The previous owners, it turned out, had also had that idea and there is a bit of pre-wiring done (some good, some not so good), and even some draw cables installed when they had the house built so it was ready when they got round to it. They never did. Now we've done the sensible things (sofas, solar, battery, kitchen table and chairs, study and library etc) I'm allowed to start work on the fun stuff.

So picture one is the layout of the room.

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 8.34.58 am.png

I was able to purchase the Anthem MRX1120 that I wanted a few months back, and the original plan was to re-use the Q Acoustics speakers we already had for the "7" layer, and then add the Atmos speakers into the ceiling space.

I am planning to go for a Sony VPL-VW760ES projector.

Screen wise, it's partly dictated by viewing distances, but also those rather odd stubby walls that are at the projector end. A 100" screen would fit the on the walls perfectly it seems. A 110" screen would overhang a bit and look possibly a bit odd.

The rooms was, er, an interesting colour. Eggplant. Very very eggplant. In the photo you can see some wall mounted speakers that we inherited - they aren't good, but at the moment they're being pressed into service as temporary front heights and rear heights and are ok for that. You'll also see a pull down projector screen that we had in storage from about 12 years ago of dubious quality, and we've got a positively ancient Toshiba TLP-X2000 projector of the same vintage that amazingly has survived sitting in storage unused for the last 6 or 7 years, that we're using from time to time so we can use the room a bit, and a more recent Sony Bravia for more normal film watching. The projector is surprisingly good for Laserdisc viewing, far better than pushing it into the modern TV.

Photo-2018-03-27-05-43-55_6916.JPG

At the moment I'm working on the easy stuff, making good the holes in the wall, painting, better blackout layer of curtain behind the primary curtain, and drawing up the shopping list and ideas for how it'll look and work.

Automation wise, it's mainly going to be controlled via my Logitech Harmony Elite with lighting via Philips Hue once I can replace the MR16 transformers for GU10 fittings and replace the wall scones with something a bit more to our taste.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    You could put a stud wall where the screen is to go, or make a simple screen wall with panels and an acoustic screen so you could go wider (maybe a 2.40:1 screen) and have the speakers behind. Over on avs there's a thread how to do that:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-d...n/837848-minimalist-approach-screen-wall.html

For a scope screen, a rule of thumb for seating distance is to sit as far back as the screen is wide, so sit 10 feet back from a 10ft wide 2.40 screen, but experiment to see what works best for you before fixing the screen size and seating distance by using the pj to project and image at the kind of size you want and see where you prefer to sit. 100" diag 16:9 seems a bit small, especially with something like the 760. If you like 100" for 16:9, scope can be the same height and wider, so approx 118 wide.

3. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    One of the installers who has been round has suggested a false wall. We'd only lose about 40cm of room size, and that is kind of tempting. I'm starting to read the thread you've linked to. Interesting....

Where we're planning to sit, and where we are at the moment with the temporary layout, is about 3.4m from the screen. I have to say we're a bit in the dark with screen size, one installer suggested 120" screen, another 110" and another 100". I think the 100" selling point is it fits the existing wall near perfectly, but if a solution to the stupid walls can be found that becomes moot.

I do quite fancy the idea of a proper scope screen, and to do that I think the false wall/acoustic screen is the only way to really achieve it. Taking out those columns/walls could be a bit of a hassle.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    Removing the bumps is probably the best solution, but not the easiest. The 'minimalist' approach from the link is much easier, plus you get to have the speakers hidden behind the screen.

I think the 760 is crying out for the scope screen approach and is more 'cinema' IMHO. Will you want to keep the tv there too?

5. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The TV is only there temporarily so we can use the room more often whilst waiting.

I was really keen on a scope screen early on in the planning, and in my heart that's what I really want. The good news nothing has been locked in yet or built, so it's quite easy to make changes at this stage.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    Will you be using the speakers in the pic or getting new? Some people are using relatively cheap PA style speakers behind their screens for example, or do you want to get something more in keeping with the Sony's kind of budget?

7. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The front speakers at this stage will probably be kept (the Q Acoustic 3050 and centre). Those would be relatively easy to upgrade at a later date, and quite honestly I like the sound of them. The sub is definitely being replaced - it's really quite pathetic in this room.

The installer has suggested SVS Prime Elevation speakers for the side and rear speakers, and Episode ESST1700 8" for the Atmos.

8. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Had a play with a larger scope screen in the room layout, and I don't think it looks too bad! Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 11.14.02 am.png

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    Looks fine - could even go a little larger :)

Had any thoughts about black velvet around the screen end (or more) to improve intra-image performance?

10. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I had suggested that to my husband... The response was rather negative *cough* It seems I found the limit of what I'm allowed to do.

11. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I would definitely go with the false wall approach and utilise the space behind for equipment and speakers. If you do put amps etc there though you might need to consider cooling.

You’re room is a bit narrower than mine (6m x 8m) and I have a 150” wide 2.4 scope screen and there is room for a door either side of it. I think looking at your picture that Peter is right, there is room for a bigger screen here and you can put your speakers behind.

I too have the 760es, it has no trouble with the 150” screen so you will be fine.

Out of interest what is the ceiling height? You look to have plenty of room to increase the screen size vertically too. I shave dropped the ceilings in mine for effect which nearly constrained the screen size!

12. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The room is 2.7m high, so pretty high.

I have a total “nope, you’re not doing that” when I suggested the false wall idea... so it’s looking like it’ll have to be either a larger screen overhanging the stubby walls, or removing the pillars and somehow matching the carpet and coving.

13. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I’m guessing the stubby pillars are there for a reason and might take some significant work for the small gain?

Can’t think what else to suggest.... New (Av enthusiast) husband? :D

14. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    If there’s a reason, I can’t think of one! I’m pretty resigned to them staying as the work and cost involved in removing them would be significant and could be better spent on fun stuff, like a new subwoofer or better rear speakers or... stuff that would make a definite difference.

As for the new husband, not sure how much trade in I’d get for a model used for 18 years. ;)

15. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    If ever there was an argument for supporting your friendly local neighbourhood dealer, I've got one for you. This weekend we went to the demo day for their new home cinema room. It features an Atmos system, a Sony 4K projector, acoustic treatments, etc. They also had the additional speakers and subwoofer on hand for my other half to see and give his opinion on. Result:

1. He agrees the acoustic treatments don't actually look bad, and do make it look more cinema like.
    2. He's got his head round the new surround speakers for main surround and rear surround, but he'd rather have them in white than black. No problem, I can live with that.
    3. The subwoofer is my choice and he has no opinion - they're just black boxes and don't look pretty, so who cares which one it is...
    4. The demo room had the bulb version of the Sony 4K projector, not the laser version, and quite honestly to our older eyes there wasn't that much of a difference to the laser one we saw before. Certainly not work spending an extra $10k on. So that's saved us a fair bit.
    5. The demo room featured the front speakers and subwoofer behind a wall made of acoustic fabric. He now gets it. And liked it. And could see that when the lights went down it helped everything just melt away and nothing distracting him... I've won!
    6. The lack of equipment at the front with display panels and flashing lights was a plus for him, and he'd rather now move the equipment to the rear of the room and spend some of the money we save on the projector on cabling that way.

I doubt I would ever have got such a good result without the local dealer's help. He was very happy to spend some time talking to him and explaining things and showing him things, and worry about his needs with aesthetics knowing that the technical stuff etc he really doesn't care about.

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    That's great news. :)

Sometimes people need to see or hear things for themsleves to appreciate what the effect will be.

17. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It's took a while, but we've made progress. The builder is locked in for next week to remove the stupid stub walls. After checking it all out they are purely plasterboard, so the purpose of them is even more baffling than before. And the cost of removing them was far far less than building a false wall, and we gain another 2ft of room. We've also struck it lucky with the ceiling. It is the lower floor of the house, so we were expecting cabling to be a nightmare. But rather oddly there is a 2 foot cavity between the ceiling and the floor above, so as my installer put it "we can almost just throw the cables through and get them there". Some construction choices in this house were odd.

All the kit has arrived at my local dealer, and will be installed next week as well. I moved back to the laser Sony, as with removing the stub walls meant we could get away with a larger screen, so the extra lumens would help significantly, and a big chunk of that comes from the savings above.

During the last few months I've been able to pick up some extra bits and bobs as they popped up on sale, discount days or on eBay.
    • A Panasonic 820 - I decided it was worth the punt to see how the tone mapping on it works compared to native in the projector. The "old" Panny 400 is now in the living room.
    • A Lumagen RadianceXD-3D popped up on FleaBay cheaply, so that's solved my problem with my old Laserdisc player that I like to use
    • A semi-pro popcorn machine. I couldn't resist.
    • A Redback DAB+ tuner
    Still thinking about installing 16:9 to scope curtains, but I'm getting a little resistance at that.

The sofas are in place, and are very comfy. Drinks tables should arrive this week, hopefully! It's all coming together :)

18. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The stub walls are down, and currently the gyprock, coving and skirting are being patched with pieces from the wall that was taken down so it’s a 100% match. The first fix cabling is done, and the Atmos speakers have gone in. The surround speakers are next.

Tomorrow should be the screen, projector, second fix and all systems go.

Attached Files:

19. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Over the last few weeks we’ve been getting the final touches completed, the painting finished off, the posters up, the install of the acoustic treatments, etc. This morning the final bit - some stage blocks - arrived for row 2 of seating, and it now feels pretty much complete. We’re really happy with the result.

5E2A8BDA-0F79-4012-8372-44D76A293D03.jpeg 08FF0C27-B573-4D96-A6AB-EC86035FD778.jpeg 0085405B-163F-4445-848A-2B700069A6C0.jpeg 3D65FC3A-3E41-4D1E-8892-D8FCFFC27DC7.jpeg DCEBEE2A-4091-4218-8A19-7B73AB06A9BD.jpeg C720B457-5554-4B5E-8316-9EA6743BA2C4.jpeg 6633FB21-7E7C-4360-9B54-4C464EC352C4.jpeg

20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    That's a great result :)