• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VoIP via Wireless ADSL Router

mark.carline

Warning - newbe post here so expect dumb question!.....

I have a Dlink DSLG604T wireless router with 1Mb ADSL and I was wondering if its possible I can get a wireless VoIP phone that I can just switch on and connect to my wireless lan.

I really dont want to have to leave my PC on so i'm not really interested in these USB phones (am I missing something with these devices as all they seem to be is a USB headphone and mouse - hey ??)

p.s. Does anyone know what model of Cisco IP phone they use in 24 (as in the Sky TV series) ?

AOD

Yes you can.

I believe companies like Zyxel make such handsets but they have a number of downsides.

They're generally expensive, the battery life sucks and with the typical amount of configuring that VOIP needs (granted probably a one off) you might tear your hair out trying to get one to work reliably.

If you really want to try VOIP (but SIP based rather than Skype for example) then consider either a adaptor so you can use an existing handset (such as a nice DECT cordless phone) or try a cheap "hard" phone such as a Grandstream Budgetone to see what you think.

Check out the following link and you'll see what I mean about issues: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=1948

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom