• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VOIP using standard telephones ?

S

scifi_nut

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone had any recommendations for this scenario:

I currently use NTL 2Mb Service (£24.99) for broadband and pay £10.50 for
an NTL telephone line and I am just coming upto the 12 month minimum of my contract, so with the reductions in broadband costs and the immergance of
VOIP I would like to ditch the phone line and move away from NTL broadband
to reduce my costs. :devil:

Idealy I would like a service which provides both broadband and Voip (so Voip bandwidth doesn't count for monthly bandwidth limits and allows me to plug my existing cordless handset into an adaptor to use voip for free / cheap calls. Now upto now the options / problems I have identified are: :rolleyes:

BT: Does offer combined service (but is billed to telephone number
and the BT phone line in our house is not paid for by me) :(

Wanadoo: Offers combined service (but calls cost not particularly cheap and
user comments concerning) :confused:

Freetalk: Offer cheaper phone calls (but cost of virtual phone number
high and additional device in setup) :rolleyes:

Sipgate / : Cheap phone calls but additional device required :rolleyes:
Etc...

So can anyone recommend any of these solutions or another ?

Sorry for the long post, but as potentially looking at locking into a 12 month
contract :suicide: I would appreciate any assistance. :lease:

dpoulson

Standard Member
If you keep your broadband connection with NTL, you could ditch your phone line and get a SIP provider like sipgate.co.uk who will provide you with a local number for your area.

I don't know about what other broadband options are in your area, but for most people you are stuck with either Cable (NTL/Telewest) or ADSL (in which case you need to have a BT line - no way round it).

As far as the additional equipment for VOIP, you're stuck with that anyway. Wether you fork out for a dedicated SIP phone, or a cheap ATA convertor for your standard phone you are going to need more hardware.

Personally, I would stick with a broadband provider and ditch any POTS phone line, getting my phone services from someone like sipgate of telappliant. Or at least I would if I could get cable around my area! :)

Darren.

Dexstroyer

If you are looking for a decent desktop Voip telephone to make use of your internet connection for telephone calls then we offer one for free at DexWeb Telecom on 12 month contracts. Either £5.99 per month gets you 200 anytime minutes or £7.99 for 500mins + calls to other DexWeb customers are free. You can choose your number to be either a local area code 0845, or 0870.
Also the added bonus of the Voip telephones is that if you move, simply take the phone with you and plug it straight into the modem (RJ45 socket) your computer does not need to be on to use it!
Hope this helps.

F

fleeced1

I have had my Broadband with Pipex for around three years-very quick and reliable, they offer Pipex Talk package with new broadband accounts. They offer great deals for new customers and you will get a few months free when you sign up and a load of other free stuff. I think Pipex Talk is £4.99 a month.

http://www.solo.pipex.net/

hutters

scifi_nut, why do you want to move away from NTL?

I have NTL cable and NTL phone and am looking at Vonage @ £7.99 per month for UK national & local landline calls and doing away with the NTL phone completely. Vonage give you a Linksys PAP2 for free aswell. I'm still researching to see if there's any hidden costs, etc., but so far it looks good to me.

If you ring NTL customer services and tell them that you are thinking about disconnecting they *should* offer you a reduction in line with current offers. I managed to get 1MB @ £8.99 per month. NTL 1MB & 2MB service is also unlimted download so there's no usage issues.

hutters

Well my Vonage Linksys PAP2 got delivered yesterday and within 5 minutes of opening the box I was making calls. Setup was so easy and call quality was not noticeably different, even when I was using the web whilst making a call.

A big :thumbsup: from me and highly recommended.

blicky_1

hutters said:
Well my Vonage Linksys PAP2 got delivered yesterday and within 5 minutes of opening the box I was making calls. Setup was so easy and call quality was not noticeably different, even when I was using the web whilst making a call.

A big :thumbsup: from me and highly recommended.

Keep us updated on this mate as I'm also interested in this.

hutters

blicky_1 said:
Keep us updated on this mate as I'm also interested in this.

Just give it a go - there's a 14 day full moneyback guarantee if you don't like it/it doesn't work.

So far there's been no problems for us.

chriszzzzzz

I've just got Vonage on my NTL 2mb cable connection and its great. Even my wife likes it.....!!:D
I just use my standard BT phone on the system..

A

advancedts

try looking at the AVM Fritzbox. They give up to 4 voip lines with emergency calling.

Cable Monkey

advancedts said:
try looking at the AVM Fritzbox. They give up to 4 voip lines with emergency calling.

Where would we get one of those?;)

zapata

I am using a Sipura SPA3000 and you can make voip and pstn (analog) calls from this system using a DECT phone plugged in. Switching between the 2 formats is done via dialplans within the web interface for the device. Been calling UK local and national aswell as Spain, Mexico and USA for free using sip accounts !!!

A

advancedts

Search for them on the internet to find your best pricing I know most major e-tailers stock them.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member

markymark34

anyone got this sorted yet?

Im in a similar situation wanting to connect sky plus up to a router rather than a phone line?

thanks

Mark

bradavon78

dpoulson said:
If you keep your broadband connection with NTL, you could ditch your phone line and get a SIP provider like sipgate.co.uk who will provide you with a local number for your area.
I've been looking at doing just this. I'm not keen to go the BT route as they charge for the line rental.

dpoulson said:
As far as the additional equipment for VOIP, you're stuck with that anyway. Wether you fork out for a dedicated SIP phone, or a cheap ATA convertor for your standard phone you are going to need more hardware.
Are the ATA Adapters so you can plug a standard phone into VOIP any good? A proper VOIP phone would be better right?

I've been looking at the Wifi one, it's expensive but I reckon it will be worth it. I wanted a non-cable telephone. Most VOIP phones seem to be cabled which I'm not keen on.

Is the Wifi phone easy to setup? Will it just work with your ADSL Wireless Router?

Thanks

K

kirmy

How about internetcalls.com they have free voip calls to uk and all over the world(well most countries) free if you get 10euro credit.so get a voip phone £10.0 and download the internetcalls.com off you go (provided that you have no cap on your line with NTL)

colinw

Well i was thinking of going over to vonage as well from the ntl phone line, but there was one thing that stopped me dead in my tracks.

I have sky+ and you can't plug the sky box into the vonage system.

It seems the modems in the sky units are not compatable with vonage.

So i don't want 2 phone line rentals, as sky needs to be always connected to a phone line.

Sure there a lot of others in the same boat.

Oh well :(

bradavon78

colinw said:
as sky needs to be always connected to a phone line.
Only for the first 12 months. I'm sure it's in some contract but I doubt Sky themselves will tell you this (unless you pressed them).

My brother had Sky and as his telephone connection is nowhere near the TV, after the engineer left he unplugged the Sky cable.

He got a letter asking he plug it back in, he ignored it and never heard from them again. This was in the first 12 months too.

The telephone cable is only needed for the interactive crud and if you want to order of Box Office (which could prove tricky). Have you asked Sky generally speaking what they plan to do about VOIP? They can't ignore it forever.

colinw

Well thats the funny thing, it used to be the first 12 months. After my first 12 months of having sky+ downstairs and my old sky unit upstairs i removed all the phone cable from both units.

Then several months later i got a letter telling me that my phone line is no longer connected and was given a certain amount of time to put them back on the phone socket or i will be billed the full amount for both units, instead of the £10 for the box upstairs.

I phoned them up about this and was told there terms and conditions changed ages ago and now they always have to be connected to the phone line, not the minimum 12 months any more.

So i had to plum all the phone lines back in again :(

bradavon78

I guess it must have changed then. It was a while ago in my brother's case.

In my brother's case I'm sure all the letter said was he had to put the phone line back in, he ignored it and never heard from them again. The phone connection was nowhere near the TV, it would've been really impracticable.

That's a cheeky letter when you consider the phone line has nothing to do with billing. How long after you unplugged it did you get a letter?

I recommend a phone call to both Sky and Vonage as this will affect possibly thousands of people.

For example say you were a new Sky customer and already had Vonage. Are Sky seriously going to say "sorry we don't want all the cash we're going to make from you". They can't expect you surely to unplug all the Vonage equipment you already have.

colinw

I think it was about 3 to 4 months after i disconnected it that i got a letter.

I have looked at other forums about this and i think if you only have one sky box then your ok to remove it after 12 months, but if like me you have 2 sky box's then you are paying only £10 for the additional box, and they check once a month to make sure these two box's are still on the same phone line. To stop you from letting someone else make use of your box i suppose.

So to keep the discount price of £10 for the second box you must always be connected to phone line.

Bit gutted really as i would like to use vonage, never mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom