1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VoIP #s in multiple countries - options?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by jzoltner, Sep 23, 2005.

1. jzoltner

jzoltner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am moving from Washington, DC to Santiago, Chile and have family in Rochester, NY and Seattle, WA. I use Skype now but would like to find a VoIP option that would allow me to:
    * transfer my W, DC land line or cell number (202 area code) to a VoIP service
    * add other U.S. numbers based in Rochester (585) and Seattle (425)
    * add a Santiago number (562) and possibly a Mexico City number (?)
    * access all of these numbers through a device that looks and acts pretty much like a standard telephone

Is this possible under any existing service? If so, would any one service handle this the best?

I think there are several free VoIP services that assign a real US phone number (and possibly numbers from select other countries). Is it possible to access free numbers from different services through one single service so that it is transparent to me as the user?

Thanks -- any advice would be appreciated.

2. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey Jzoltner and welcome

Im fairly sure Skype-In and Skype-Out can perform all the functions listed apart from the one above. I have no idea if they are able to xfer an existing number but, when I signed up for them i did not notice any such option.

I do this using this device.

Best of luck!