1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOIP question

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by megienos, Aug 12, 2005.

1. megienos

megienos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm moving home and it seems to be the opportunity to get rid of BT. I might buy a new wireless broadband router with VOIP or stick an ATA to my current router, to be able to use my DECT phones. My question is the following: will I be able to use services such as sipgate, voipbuster, voipcheap.co.uk, or call18866.co.uk with my PC off?

Regards

Xavier :confused:

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Sipgate, most definitely....The others I have got no experience with...

You may actually want to check Vonage out as they do provide a Linksys Router with QoS and two build-in phone ports....I do not know wether you can use it with other services though as I do not have that router....

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS connected to my BT Voyager ADSL modem and to my home network for VOIP....Then one of my phones is a Grandstream 2000 which is just directly connected into my network....Works a dream...

Can you already get rid of BT? Has the LLU happened yet?

3. megienos

megienos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanadoo is currently testing the LLU in the UK. In the meantime I was thinking of taking NTL broadband, no phone or TV. We don't phone much, mainly we receive calls from our parents in France. I'm looking for the cheapest way, i.e. payGo. Gossiptel looks interesting too.

Anyone has tried on of the combinations I described in my first post?

Regards

Xavier