Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

VOIP providers

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by jameson_uk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I was planning on switching to Vonage but Sky have thrown a spanner in the works in that I need to have my STB plugged into a fixed landline (a bit of googling proves it will not work under Vonage).

This poses me a problem in that now I need to keep my existing landline and this makes Vonage too expensive.

I would like to go down the real voip route (not skype) and have an incoming standard number but I could do with a provider where you only pay for calls.

Any suggestions ??

2. andrewmc

andrewmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    give www.sipgate.co.uk a try - no fees payable to set it up and you get a UK geographic number. You only need to fund your account if you want to make calls to PSTN or mobile numbers. VOIP to VOIP and incoming calls are free.

3. RekalinSimms

RekalinSimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have SunRocket which has been surprisingly efficient so far. I have been very impressed with the technology and how good this provider has been.

4. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Looks interesting, slightly more expensive than Vonage and you have to pay for hardware but I guess I am stuck with this if I only want to use it for occasional international calls. Will certainly check it out some more

5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Googled for this and it looks USA only. I forgot to mention that I am in the UK

6. andrewmc

andrewmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are not obliged to pay for hardware - you can use the X-Lite softphone for free but you do then need to keep your PC turned on if you are expecting calls. There are other hardware analogue telephone adapters (ATA's) available most of which can be configured to work with any provider as long as the unit is not locked to a provider (the Vonage unit probably is). I think the Netgear provided by Sipgate is not locked to them (best check this before buying). I use Sipura units (www.sipura.com) -SPA-3000 and SPA-1001. The 1001 supports two independant VOIP accounts which is handy if you want to have multiple numbers or use a different account for outbound calls.

If the unit is not locked to a provider then at least you can re-use it when you move to another provider.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,686
    I've never ever had my Sky box plugged in as I do not have a single POTS PSTN connection....Never caused a problem and Sky has done 2 installations, plus one upgrade to Sky+, never questioned it a single time...

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I think it is more of a problem when you get the free equipment from them. I understand that the newer contract states that you have to have your STB connected and they are checking.

e.g. here
    and if you do some more googling you will find various post from people getting very nice letters from Sky telling them to plug the STB back into their phone line.

I guess one of the reasons for this is that if you have multiroom, you could potentially put your other box anywhere else and only pay £10 per month for a top notch package

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,686
    Jameson - Sky can activate the cards via a normal phone call instead of dial-up by the box itself. If you card is not 'married' to the box the box won't work, or even worse if you have got Sky+ recording you can't view them anymore...So multiroom is not the reason....

The reason is pure to do with the Interactive voting programmes, Sky BoxOffice, buy Goods via your sky-box...Nothing else...

I got mine for free, never paid a penny for them, well except for Sky+....And don't have a normal POTS line as said before...Mine is ISDN2e only at home I've been running like that for 5 years now on/off, cancelled my contract in 2003, came back in 2004 and no analogue phoneline was never a problem...The contract always stated you should have it connected nothing new about it...

But suit yourself mate...Don't give up before you try it...I always answered yes to the phone line question as I do have several phone lines....The installer just doesn't have a socket to plug it in ;-)

10. Cart

Cart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On my Sky contract it said you had to keep the box connected to a phone line for 12 months. I disconnected 12 months to the day. I know the box used to call out early in the morning, probably downloading what I had bee viewing.

ANdy

11. ataylor

ataylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I'm sure even with VOIP (Skype, Vonage or whatever) you still have a BT Line as you have to still pay their monthly line rental cost.

Am I wrong here?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the landline, my brother has Sky and it's nowhere near the phone line. When Sky arrived they put this really long cable around the room, along the corridor and plugged it into the phone line.

Clearly when Sky left he unplugged it (it looked a mess). He got ONE letter from Sky asking him to plug it in, he ignored it and that was the last he heard. He's now over his 12 months so no worries but the point to my story is if you don't want to plug it in don't.

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,686
    No you are right, at least for now...Altough the kind of VOIP we are talking about is not using your POTS line, so theoretically you can do away with it...But there is no emergency power via the Internet and no routing for emergency calls yet...Though the regulators are calling for that to be sorted...

But saying that, if you are in a reliable mobile phone area (I am not) you could do away with the line all together and just use a mobile phone for those kind of calls....

14. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    If you ADSL then you are stuck as you have to have a BT line to have ADSL. As soon as this LLU kicks off, things might change. I acually have cable for my ISP so no need for phone at all. Other than the sky issue (looks like I will move fully to VOIP 12 months to day sky was installed !!) Live in city centre and mobile reception great (oh and their is phone box about 100m away if it really came to that)

15. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    What is a POTS line?

Emergency power?

The likes of Vonage offer 999 service.

LLU?

So your cable operator don't mind you using their lines without paying for them?

Personally I'd unplug it as soon as the Sky engineer leaves and then get VOIP.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,686
    POTS=Plain Old Telephone System, basically the BT line or provided by others...
    Vonage, yes very true I wasn't aware of that...
    LLU=Local Loop Unbundling, basically allowing other providers to 'run' the wire to your house (simplistically stated...)

I must have been lucky as none of the three engineers that I've had over time were remotely bothered by plugging it in...They just called their service hotline, quoted the card number and voila the box was activated...

17. RekalinSimms

RekalinSimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no idea that's what POTS stood for. I'm sure people will become increasingly more aware of the general VoIP verbage as time goes on.

18. transcom

transcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try us at www.transcom.net/voipmore.html , we give a free credit to trial, SIP or H323, static or Dynamic or PC phone software (provided free), you can also use the same pin to make voip calls using any normal phone just like a phone card.

Cheers

Bill