Voice controlled TV for Grandad with Dementia?

Wombat2

Hello everyone, I must admit that I created this account just so I could post this thread. Your advice would be very much appreciated.

So the story is that my Grandad suffers confusion from vascular dementia, is visually impaired due to stroke damage (best way to describe it is he has significantly reduce field of view), and is significantly immobile (struggles to even move his head and arms). Because of these things, he is unable to reliably find or work a TV remote control which is a huge upset since watching his favourite TV programs is one of the few things he can still enjoy doing. However, we believe he may still be able to use voice activated controls as an alternative to using a remote control (he still talks to Siri on his phone and he used to use Amazon Echo before he could no longer remain at home).

As far as I've researched, there seem to be many voice activated TVs and/or coupled home systems around nowadays but not all of these solutions provide 100% voice activated TV control without having to press a button first. and some of these solutions seem to require a perhaps overly complex setup. Ideally we'd like to buy and setup a TV and any required supplementary devices which will allow him to at least have basic TV control via voice (turn TV on/off, switch channel/program, adjust volume/mute).

So we'd like really appreciate some advice on which TV (and device ecosystem if needed) we should buy and setup to achieve that goal. Money isn't really a factor, he just needs a solution which works for him. The only other requirement on the TV front is that it must not be larger than 32 inch since the TV will have to sit on a 75cm wide table/dresser.

Currently, the TV and ecosystem solution we are considering is:
Chomecast device + Google Home device + 32 inch TV which supports HDMI-CEC and Google Assistant
…but we are open for feedback or advice on a perhaps better solution.

Thanks for reading

Dodgexander

Google assistant built in, so the TV is in effect another voice speaker.

Choose to call the TV what you want; by default 'Android TV'.

Ok Google change Android TV channel to 5
Ok Google open YouTube on Android TV
Ok Google search 'insert TV show here' on Android TV.

Some notes:
You'll need to place a Google Home/Mini next to him for voice recognition, the TV has no mic built in.
Sound will be bad, pair the TV with a soundbar for clearer sound.

Wombat2

Google assistant built in, so the TV is in effect another voice speaker.

Choose to call the TV what you want; by default 'Android TV'.

Ok Google change Android TV channel to 5
Ok Google open YouTube on Android TV
Ok Google search 'insert TV show here' on Android TV.

Some notes:
You'll need to place a Google Home/Mini next to him for voice recognition, the TV has no mic built in.
Sound will be bad, pair the TV with a soundbar for clearer sound.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking at info on that TV and read that it apparently doesn't support Freeview or BBC iPlayer app?
The programs my Grandad likes to watch are on BBC 1, BBC 2, and ITV. Are those still accessible without Freeview support?
Lack of BBC iPlayer may be an issue as well since, although he may not be able to work the app himself, family or nursing staff may want to help him catch up on programs he likes by using apps like that.

Also, I can't find any confirmation that TV supports HDMI-CEC which may be required to support the ability to use voice commands to turn the TV off/on?
The ability for him to use his voice alone to turn the TV off/on is ideal.

Dodgexander

Every TV sold in the UK supports Freeview. What you may have read is the TV doesn't support Freeview play, which is an app that integrates an EPG together with catchup services. Not all TVs have Freeview play, including Samsung models and LG models last year.

With this TV you will need to download apps separately for catch-up, and some like iPlayer may be missing from the app store. You could always sideload the iPlayer apk from the Google Chromecast TV though.

Every TV supports HDMI CEC if you want to go the separate chromecast route. You may want to choose Chromecast TV though, since chromecast itself is reliant on a phone or tablet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom