1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by adesonic, Sep 24, 2003.

1. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I run an HTPC (2.8 GHz P4 1Gb RAM 180Mb HDD, DVD +/-RW) which I use for films, PVR, Music and TV viewing. I (and the wife) would love to control the whole set up by voice. This would include the PC sending IR commands to other system components (AV reciever, plasma and sky box) so I could for example say "play DVD" and the system would switch on the AV amp and the plasma, launch theater tek and start playing. I have seen some voice control software (HAL 2000) that might fit the bill, but everything seems to be US based - any ideas?

(PS I do not want to have to sit in my front room with a daft micropone headset on!)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my biggest concern would be that right as the film starts to get interesting..... the script happens to correspond to your system power down command, and you are left steaming..... well maybe not quite as bad as that, but given an extrememly noisy environment, surely voice control and isolation of the correct noises is going to be tough?

Ad

3. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping there is a way round that, I have seen sites for voice cotrol systems that claim to be able to work in an open environment (i.e with a mic some feet away

4. PhilGrover

PhilGrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Following on from buns comments, I tried the demo version of HAL2000 once - it wasn't too bad in a quiet environment (they have apparently completely changed the speech system since then), but be careful what your "attention" word is. I had it set on the default with "Computer" and once had it respond when Dr. Bashir on Deep Space Nine asked a question.... Spoooky!!!

Phil

5. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103