Vodafone FTTP Full Fibre - Anyone use it, or advise alternative?

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Hope you're all well.

Looking to move house, and for the first time I'll have the benefit of FTTP full fibre. Have to say I'm bizarrely excited and curious to see if it's all I've hoped for.

So, looking at suppliers. Currently looking at Vodafone as they seem to offer the best value on speed against price - 100mb for £28 - plus they seem to be on a lot of cashback sites - £68 through Quidco or £100 Amazon voucher at vouchercodes.

I was wondering please if anyone here uses them, and what your experience has been like? That said, anyone strongly feel a competitor is better? I'm trying to avoid folks like Sky (hate them) but willing to turn the cheek for anyone that can do 100mb within the twenty something pound range.

They are currently according to Hotukdeals for easter offering 900mb/s for £29 with a £100 Amazon voucher thrown in in-top. This is an insane deal and worth going for.

However, the one downside many say is the router they give you is a bit naff and it can be very hard to get your PPPOE username and password from them to use your own.

Due to this, I think the best ISP for FTTP is TalkTalk as they use DHCP where you can use use your own router without needing any username and password at all.

That's not for FTTP. That is for vDSL. When you sign up for regular FTTP you are put with TalkTalk Business for some reason not the regular branch of TalkTalk.

I am with TalkTalk FTTP and all I needed to do was set my personal non TalkTalk router to DHCP mode and that was it. Never entered a single thing and works perfectly.

That's not for FTTP. That is for vDSL. When you sign up for regular FTTP you are put with TalkTalk Business for some reason not the regular branch of TalkTalk.

I am with TalkTalk FTTP and all I needed to do was set my personal non TalkTalk router to DHCP mode and that was it. Never entered a single thing and works perfectly.
The link to fibre services is correct for FTTP. The username and password are authentication and as you say (and as per the linked page) TT use authentication another way. I’m fairly sure they use IPoE (as opposed to PPoE. You don’t sign in regardless.

DHCP is how they give you a public IP address. Nothing to do with authentication. Unless you have a static IP address you need to choose DHCP to get the public IP address. Your connection is already authenticated so off it goes, gets the public IP and away you go.

Username and password authentication is so 20th century- I can’t believe ISPs are still using it. I’ve got a static IP provider (they don’t do DHCP at all) so I enter the addresses they give me having clicked static instead of DHCP and that’s it. If the connection goes down there is no wait for to the DHCP lease etc.

If I was over there I would look at any provider without shenanigans to sign in that’s for sure :)

been with Vodafone FTTP through city fiber network for about three years now first 18 months had 200meg down 200 meg up never missed a beat then move to pro 500meg down 500meg up also been great. wifi upstairs was dropping to only about 50 meg so asked for 2 boosters free for the first three mths so tell them wifi playing up and get up to three free boosters just in case get between 150 meg to 250 meg upstairs now .wired 540 meg up and down always give them a go. if you were going for vdsl I would say no . but fftp is not Vodafone's network

Hello all. Hope you're all well.

Looking to move house, and for the first time I'll have the benefit of FTTP full fibre. Have to say I'm bizarrely excited and curious to see if it's all I've hoped for.

So, looking at suppliers. Currently looking at Vodafone as they seem to offer the best value on speed against price - 100mb for £28 - plus they seem to be on a lot of cashback sites - £68 through Quidco or £100 Amazon voucher at vouchercodes.

I was wondering please if anyone here uses them, and what your experience has been like? That said, anyone strongly feel a competitor is better? I'm trying to avoid folks like Sky (hate them) but willing to turn the cheek for anyone that can do 100mb within the twenty something pound range.

Did you decide on Vodafone as your new provider? How simple was the initial set up? is the speed and connection holding up?
My Virgin Broadband is going from £22 a month up to £47!
So I am considering the Vodafone fibre myself, at £25 a month (with £75 voucher via uswitch)
I spoke with Virgin, they gave me the option staying with a better download speed of 200MB for £28 a month. I am not that fussed about the extra speed, so it would appear that Vodafone is the better option for me, but I am a little worried about what he said (I know its his job to scare me into staying with them) that the network can get more congested because of the other providers that use the line/fibre?? is that true? Does anyone know what type of connection I would need for the Vodafone fibre?

Did you decide on Vodafone as your new provider? How simple was the initial set up? is the speed and connection holding up?
My Virgin Broadband is going from £22 a month up to £47!
So I am considering the Vodafone fibre myself, at £25 a month (with £75 voucher via uswitch)
I spoke with Virgin, they gave me the option staying with a better download speed of 200MB for £28 a month. I am not that fussed about the extra speed, so it would appear that Vodafone is the better option for me, but I am a little worried about what he said (I know its his job to scare me into staying with them) that the network can get more congested because of the other providers that use the line/fibre?? is that true? Does anyone know what type of connection I would need for the Vodafone fibre?
I did go with them in the end, and I'm very happy.

I can't really say much on set up as I bought a new build house and everything was already there. It was just a case of being 'switched on' and no issues on the day.

I've only had it about three weeks but had no problems. No drop outs, no slow down etc etc so yeah, happy days.

So I had the Vodafone gigafast 900/900 service via Cityfibre installed last Tuesday 30mins after the engineers left it stopped working. Numerous calls to Vodafone and cityfibre resulted in palming me off to the other company saying it is working even though it wasn't. 1 email to Kelly group the engineers who installed and the engineers were round my house within 40mins re fitting new equipment and fibre lines to my house from the telephone pole(we don't have underground installation on my street thank god having seen some of the mess) now I seem to have mostly the service I pay for. 941 download but only 140 upload a further ticket has been logged and will be investigated eventually but for now 140upload will do having only gotten 15 upload with sky. So after the initial teething problems the actual service isn't too bad

So I had the Vodafone gigafast 900/900 service via Cityfibre installed last Tuesday 30mins after the engineers left it stopped working. Numerous calls to Vodafone and cityfibre resulted in palming me off to the other company saying it is working even though it wasn't. 1 email to Kelly group the engineers who installed and the engineers were round my house within 40mins re fitting new equipment and fibre lines to my house from the telephone pole(we don't have underground installation on my street thank god having seen some of the mess) now I seem to have mostly the service I pay for. 941 download but only 140 upload a further ticket has been logged and will be investigated eventually but for now 140upload will do having only gotten 15 upload with sky. So after the initial teething problems the actual service isn't too bad

With this can you add your Own Router or Mesh System ?
Just got an email from Cityfibre and can get a decent discount as with Vodafone at the moment for Mobile.
I am with Virgin at the moment and have it set as Modem Mode and my Linksy Wifi Mesh thingies connected via Ethernet. Didn't know if I can unplug the Vodafone Router and plug these in and it work the same way.

Just got an email from Cityfibre and can get a decent discount as with Vodafone at the moment for Mobile.
I am with Virgin at the moment and have it set as Modem Mode and my Linksy Wifi Mesh thingies connected via Ethernet. Didn't know if I can unplug the Vodafone Router and plug these in and it work the same way.
I'm not sure mate I've read you can and don't need to use the Vodafone router. You need to get your Vodafone log in details via support for 3rd party routers but trying to get any information from either cityfibre or Vodafone is like trying to get blood from a stone.

They are still telling me that my line is fine with 130 upload speeds when it should be 900😂

Just and update to the thread having still had no joy with the Vodafone router giving me the upload speeds and Vodafone adamant the router they provided was fine and putting it down to an issue with all 23 Internet connected devices I own I decided to buy my own router. It was easy enough to get my log in details from Vodafone and surprise suprise my upload and download speeds are now both over 900 over WiFi too as I bought a WiFi 6 router. So all in all if you can get a good deal and dont feel like hanging yourself if you have to speak to Vodafone CS then the actual service is pretty decent

Cityfibre finished digging up my street in July, but at this moment no FTTP services available, can see it being next year before Vodafone becomes available. Currently pay £64 for VM BB 500/36. Cannot wait to ditch VM.

Cityfibre finished digging up my street in July, but at this moment no FTTP services available, can see it being next year before Vodafone becomes available. Currently pay £64 for VM BB 500/36. Cannot wait to ditch VM.
Virgin are saints compared to vodafone

Well Vodafone Full Fibre has been activated in my street. I have ordered the 900mbps service getting installed next month.

It’s costing me £30 a month will be saving £34 p/m by leaving Virgin Media. Just hope the service is good.

@Colliepops what WI-FI 6 router did you purchase thanks.

Last edited:
@Colliepops what WI-FI 6 router did you purchase thanks.
You have to get your username and password from Vodafone to use your own router and from what I have read numerous people post across forums this can be the equivalent of getting blood from a stone.

But today is 11/11 in China so you could get a very good Xiaomi router from Aliexpress for a good price.

But what I did was buy myself an Intel NUC (From Aliexpress) and run PFsense for my FTTP.

@Germinator I got an asus ax82u for free due to receiving an amazon gift card which worked fine other than my missus not liking the shape so I moved that upstairs and bought an asus ax86u as my main router and connected the other as a mesh node.

Vodafone are having issues at the minute With load distribution in some areas so be prepared potentially for highish pings and some speed drops it's affecting people all over I was affected for around 2 weeks anytime after 8pm until around 10pm I was getting speeds of 2mbps rendering most things connect useless.

Also when the cost of the contract goes up due to inflation etc next year the price isn't increased on your discounted price but the full amount before discount

Well CityFibre arrived today and did the fibre install, only took around an hour. Getting 940Mbps down and 937Mbps up. Seems good so far, now to test Xbox Series X downloads.

One thing thats happening with my new connection is more than half the times when I switch on my Xbox Series X it wont connect to XBL it does not detect an Internet connection. Read on the Vodafone community that this is an ongoing issue that VF users have with the THG3000 router. The only way to resolve this is to hook up an Ethernet switch which then resolves the issue.

Did you try asking them for your username and password to your broadband as the vodafone router is not very good at all.

From what I have read people have ok success getting it if they go onto the live chat.

@AnthonyG that's only needed if you use your own router but then you lose your landline access.
Do Vodafone not allow Sip access to their landline so you can use a Grandstream HT802 for the landline? This is what I use. But I am with TalkTalk not Vodafone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom