Vodafone employee: iPhone 5 release date Nov/Dec 2012, sales talk?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by sheriffwoody, Jan 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    i don't know how reliable this is, or how true, i am just passing on what i have heard, so don't shoot the messenger.

basically my 3gs is due an upgrade, and vodafone rung up to see what i wanted to do and i said that i would either take the 4s, or wait until the iphone 5 comes out (which i assumed would be june/july time like the previous phones).

the guy from voda said that apple had relayed to them that the new iphone 5 wouldn't be out until much later in the year, in the hope to build up excitement and expected sales for xmas 2012.

because of this info, he offered me the chance to have a sim only deal with my current phone (3gs) for 12 months where i will get 600 mins and unlimited data and texts for only £10.50 a month (usually £21 but for a limited time they are doing it half price).

so if there is any truth in this, then it might be worth while me taking this deal, as you can upgrade 70 days early anyway, which means i could upgrade from about the middle of November.

anyone else heard these rumours? he did say that this news is on the internet now, but after a quick look i couldn't see much about it?

2. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Wouldn't believe it at all, Apple would never let this information be known to a CS rep! Saying that, the SIM only deal is pretty good!!!!

3. eeek

eeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Never believe anything a salesmen will tell you. The simple answer is that Apple don't pre announce products so the release could be June or could be November.

It equally well could be next Tuesday but that's probably unlikely as you do hear valid rumours in the two weeks prior to release.

4. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Apple never release this information so he is talking rubbish, he is a salesman and will say anything to sell you something. Of course Apple might release a new iPhone this year but they certainly wouldn't just tell a Vodafone sales team, it would be well publicised across the globe.

5. rowedav

rowedav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    Until you hear anything from Apple themselves it's all speculation!

6. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Strange timing though...a 12 month deal now, which ends just in time for the next iPhone...

If he can give you a written guarantee that you can end your contract without penalty on the day the next one is released then that's something else...are you holding your breathe on that promise...

7. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    if he was just telling me that the iphone 5 wasn't out until xmas at the earliest, so i may as well take the 4s now and run that contract down for 2 years and wait and see what is available at the end, then i would say "oh, you are just trying to sell me something now". this is what happened with my 3gs. i went into phones 4 u in Feb 2010, asked if there was a new iphone 4 on the horizon and the guy said "nope, nothing, if there was we would know, so you may as well take the 3gs now as there won't be a new iphone out this year". i took it, 2 year contract, and then within a couple of months the 4 was announced.

but he was actually pushing just the 12 month contract to me for £10 a month - where he could have easily have tied me into a 2 year deal worth £40+ a month and charged me for the phone.

8. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    With respect, this same old ******** gets relayed all the time and without fail, it's always proven to be ********. We can be absolutely confident that CS operators at network operators know nothing about Apples roadmap and potential launch dates for the iPhone. Take anything they say as exactly what it is - a sales pitch.

If you would like to search back through previous launch rumour discussions you'll find the same old stuff said by the same old people. You'll struggle to find any that reflect what actually happen. What you will find is absolute proof that nothing you read in the press, nothing you're told by network operators and nothing you hear from the bloke down the pub is true until Apple hold their own press conference to announce something to the world.

Apple don't even tell their own staff until the very, very last minute!

Anything else is rumour, gossip, guesswork or sales patter :)

9. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Saying Apple relayed that info to them is BS.

HOWEVER

The guy talks sense. Apple have always operated a rough 12 month turn around- the only exception to this is the 4S- which was LONGER. If the date of the 4S release is now the release for all new iPhones then the guy is talking sense because it will be the last quarter of 2012 we see it.

It is HURRENDOUSLY unlikely we will see a new iPhone in June this year- the amount of stick Apple would get for updating from the 4s after only 8 months of release isnt something they would risk. Im sure they have now put the Dev conference back on track making it all about the software and apps, and will have seperate events for ipad (March), and iPhone (Oct) releases.

Just my 2p

But the CS rep deffo did you a favour telling you to go sim only

10. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    i think i will go sim only then for 12 months, as £10 a month for 600mins, unlimited texts/data is too good to turn down.

that way, i am only tied in until December/Jan next year, and if the 5 DOES come out in June/July this year, I can take out a new contract and give the 3gs to my mum or dad to use for 6 months.

11. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    That's a brilliant deal, I'm with T-Mob SIM only and the contract is officially £10.21/month (but I got it for £7.71) for 300 mins, 300 texts and 500MB data, so the Vodafone deal is brilliant value!

If you're the saving type, you could always put an amount aside each month and the you can buy the new iPhone (whenever it's released) unlocked and keep that deal.

12. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    not a bad idea actually. i would be saving £25 a month, so over the course of the contract thats £300 - which would be around half the price of the new handset i would guess.

13. swift00

swift00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Apple Employees don't even know when an iPhone is released. They don't even see/touch the phone until 5mins before the launch either.

14. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Yes, but this guy at Voda has a very close working relationship with Apple. ;-)

15. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Oh yeah, don't we all - I have a close working relationship with Apple, I bought some of their products! ;)