Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Vodafone Coverage - Dreadful or Just Me?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by RBZ5416, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. Vodafone is better than most

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Vodafone is worse than most

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Nothing much to choose between the networks

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,509
    Just about to cancel a Vodafone contract under their 30 day Satisfaction Guarantee. It seems that pretty much everywhere I go, coverage is around 1 bar or none. Recently I made a train journey that I've done many times when on O2. O2 had a couple of dead spots but Vodafone was a virtual black hole for the entire journey. Vodafone are suggesting a replacement SIM but that seems unlikely source of the problem.

So how do others find Vodafone coverage?

2. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I have Voda work phone and O2 personal. At home both the same thanks to a shared mast. On the road I find Voda generally has fewer dead spots but slower throughput and more prone to random dropouts of signal.

3. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    This topic is going to depend hugely on where people live and it doesn't really matter what other people's Vodafone network coverage is like, if you're not happy with the coverage then cancel the contract as no one network is great everywhere.

Where I live, Vodafone data speeds in the built up areas aren't good but coverage in the countryside is superb and there's been several cases where I'm the only person in the group that has been able to get functional coverage. As I do a lot of mountain biking and road cycling that coverage is extremely important to me hence I'm on Vodafone, I've not had issues when I've been travelling but where I've been is a tiny percent of the UK.

John

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    What you said is spot on John, my home town is awful for O2 data coverage, with the whole town centre and main round that leads into the centre of town totally devoid of any kind of 3G/4G signal to the point that mobile browsers time out ect, you get phone coverage but nowt else, was the main reason I cancelled my Tesco mobile contract at the time.

5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,509
    Just to be clear, I'm not trying to conduct some kind of scientific study as I'm fully aware of the vagaries of mobile coverage. I'm also only referring to call signal, not 3/4G.

I was just surprised to find that even when driving around with the phone paired to the car's display, the signal hardly ever seems to move from 1 bar. So just curious to see if, as @Johnmcl7 experience maybe suggests, Vodafone have intentionally opted for a poor signal with wider coverage.

I guess what I need to do is try making a bunch of calls from these low signal areas & see if the call quality is there. Historically I've found one bar only any good for texting.

6. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that Vodafone have gone for poor signal with wider coverage - Vodafone do have good 4G coverage in the built up area, I assume performance isn't great on it because it's congested. Vodafone/O2 have invested more in the countryside here where Orange/T-mobile didn't really bother but more recently EE have been improving their countryside effort.

Even if it was a worse deal I'd choose whatever carrier is best in your area, there's places I've been where O2 have been better and others where Three had the best signal.

John

7. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    Thing is the back up Sim on a trains radio uses O2 when the radio network is unavailable , so a lot of the blackspots near railway lines for o2 have been sorted.

The other networks have to rely on their normal masts.

Can't comment on Vodafone but just left o2 (moved to BT mobile) who share numerous masts because of lack of signal, dropped calls, dropping down to G & E around Se London & Kent.

8. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,509
    There's the rub. I went to Vodafone at higher cost to get Smart Signal, as no carrier has usable coverage at home. But now I have great coverage at home & poor everywhere else!
    :facepalm:

9. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,600
    Have you looked into wifi calling on EE? I realise it's restrictive as it's dependent on specific handsets but thought it worth mentioning in case you're not aware of it:

WiFi Calling

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,509
    Yes, I'm aware of that thanks but my handset isn't compatible & I'm not minded to shell out hundreds on one that is. They do have a similar box to Vodafone's sure signal though so may consider that.

11. gbjbaanb

gbjbaanb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I always found O2 to be best, but as mentioned - it depends where you live.

Install OpenSignalMap app and see what the coverage is like round your way, as well as where the masts are.

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,509
    Thanks but there's no data for my village or surrounding area for any of the networks in that app.

I conducted an interesting experiment yesterday bearing in mind Vodafone's suggestion of a replacement SIM. I had a spare PAYG SIM so stuck it in a old phone & compared signal levels as I drove around. The PAYG had nearly full strength in many areas the contract SIM didn't. So I swapped the PAYG SIM into my handset just to verify & again got much better signal. I've no idea how a SIM could limit signal reception but I've ordered a replacement & will report back.

For reasons I can't comprehend, Vodafone "can't" simply transfer my contract account to the PAYG SIM.

13. gbjbaanb

gbjbaanb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    OpenSignalMap crowdsources data to display, so nobody in your village has a phone :) (or uses the app, you're doing good by using it and contributing the data for Vod).

You could take up their offer of a replacement SIM, seems like they know it could be the problem if your PAYG sim works fine....

14. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Central London and Home Counties based here and Voda is by far and away the best coverage for voice which is what I use the most. Data speeds are perfectly fine for me for downloading email and browsing but no idea about streaming vids (other than You Tube which works perfectly).

The thing with Voda is that they use the 900MHz band for calls which is much better for indoor coverage and penetrating buildings and also when you're out in the sticks. I've got a Voda SIM for work, Three on a PAYG and EE on a personal contract. Neither Three nor EE offers good consistant indoor coverage at home or work whereas the Voda signal is solid pretty much everywhere. I had O2 a few years back and the signal wasn't as good as Voda even though they're supposed to share masts so I ditched it for Three.

My EE contract is up so I'll be taking the number across to Voda as even outdoor reception is patchy in areas where the signal coverage maps show "Excellent" full coverage indoors and outdoors.

If you want to test coverage, just grab a free PAYG SIM for whichever network you're interested in and try it for a few days. You can use any of the MVNO's if easier.