Vocals from subwoofer

uretsai

ok, just setting up my system, which has been in the loft for a fair while. i have not plugged in the 5 speakers yet, only the subwoofer.
decided to plug it into my dvd player, but the sub seems to have small vocals coming out of it while playing a film.

is it normal for it to have light vocals from the sub??

You really dont normally get vocial from a sub. What set up you using? is it an all in one system??

Have you connected it up to the mono input on the sub and sub out on the amp?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
You obviously haven't run the setup yet, so the crossover is probably too high.

Wait until you connect the speakers and then see what you get :)

uretsai

i have put the sub into stereo. plugged in 2 speakers and got the sub. same thing happens. feignt vocals.

uretsai

you'd have to put ear right next to it, to be able to hear the vocals. its very light. so no one elses sub does that???

tried with mission impossible and also saving private ryan. same thing.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Have you actually run the setup?
If so, what crossover have you ended up with?

Voices can sometimes go quite low, so it's not unknown for voices to come from the sub, albeit muffled or low, especially with a high crossover.
If it sounds ok during normal listening (without your ear pinned to the sub), there's nothing to worry about, imo.
That said, you probably need to lower the crossover, but it depends.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If I understand correctly, you connected the DVD player directly to the SUB????

Conversational voice is roughly in the range of 80hz to 1000hz. Doesn't that fall within the range of your Sub?

Plus, remember there are no fundamental notes above about 4khz, though some rare instruments like synthesizer might go as high as 8khz. But tweeters go up to 20khz; why? Well, because of harmonics.

But the same is true of low frequencies too. Not only does a given note have upper or higher harmonic, but it has lower or sub harmonic.

Next, where ever you set your crossover frequency on your Sub, that doesn't set an absolute wall beyond which no sound is heard. Very likely the Sub rolls-off at a very shallow 6db/octave. Which mean one full octave above the crossover frequency, the sound is only slightly quieter; two octaves up, it is noticeably quieter, but still audible.

So, because of all these things, you would certainly hear some remnants of voice in a Sub.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The point was, that hearing voice in a subwoofer would not be uncommon or unrealistic.

When you have a full system, the faint voice that might be present in the Sub is going to be completely overwhelmed by the same voice in the Fronts and Centers. So, it goes unnoticed.

It also depends on how you have it hook up and where the bass management is occurring. If you feed full range to the Sub, and use the Sub controls to manage bass, then you are more likely to hear voice. However, if you use your AV amp to manage the Bass, then the amp feeds a limited signal to the Sub, and that combined with the Subs own crossover can attenuate upper frequencies more drastically. So, little voice is heard.

I'm not there, I can't hear it, but from what you've said, I don't see a problem.

Steve/bluewizard

uretsai

ok cool, thanks for the help. it does make sense. when i plug the rest of the speakers in. i dont hear it anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom