1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vobbing off

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Aug 12, 2005.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've done a seach on the elusive .vob file that is produced from a DVD through the forums. The result is if you change the file extension from .vob to .mpg the file then becomes an editable one.
    Not for me!!!
    My friend lent me her DVD-R from her DVD camcorder to add to my project. When I load it up, I get the following files available:
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO _TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    Then VTS_**_0 with BUP & VOB versions for each scene (** is an incremental number).

The VIDEO_TS & VTS_**_0, when played brings up a menu/scene selection screen, that can then play the clips.
    The .vob & .bup files are unrecognised.
    If I change the .vob extension to .mpg, I can load the clip on my timeline but there is no sound.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction to resolve this? :lease:

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What format does her camcorder record the sound in, is it MPEG or Dolby Digital?

Depending upon your video software application, you may need to purchase a codec or install a 3rd party codec onto your PC to access Dolby Digital sound tracks. Check the manufacturers web site to see if the software supports the sound format.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Laser,
    This has really been hacking me off. I thought I wouldn't have a problem with compatability as her cam is a Sony, (I don't know what model) and I'm using Sony Vegas software. I'll get the model then pursue as you suggest.
    Cheers,
    Brum

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Why don't you just do it the 'correct way' and convert (no quality loss) the vob file to mpeg using the right software.

Most Ulead video products like Video Studio will do this as will TMPGenc DVD Author, Womble Mpeg Video Wizard, amongst others.

All are availabe to download as trial versions.

5. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Kelvo,
    This is what I wanted to know. I didn't know 'the correct way' I've got a pile of cover DVDs that have some, if not all of these programs. I honestly didn't know they would do this.
    On this, do you know whether Vegas 5 has this ability? If it does, can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,
    Brum

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Sorry, never used Vegas 5 so I don't know.