VOB streams unencoded

jaymac

Prominent Member
Reaction score
How does one transfer vob streams from dvd to hard disc without encoding or is that just the same as saving to Video_TS

Your question is a bit unclear.

If say ,you have a DVD video disc, it is expected to have a video_ts folder
this will contain vob files ( amongst others)

The VOB files are not streams, they are files on the DVD
If you wish to copy them to HDD as such, it is just a simple matter of drag and drop or copy and past. They really are just mpeg2 files ( Video Object) demuxed ( audio/video interwoven) and renamed to comply with DVD standard and will gennerally play on the PC either as VOB or renamed to mpg as long as the PC has an mpeg decoding codec

However if the DVD video disc is a commercially copy protected title, the copy protection will make copying the file impossible as the file will generate errors.

Many NLE software can import VOBs off DVD discs for editing, this is a feature utilised by users of DVD camcorders needing to edit thier footage on the PC.

Thanks Senu sorry about the muddled question. I will try and clarify I am starting with Magix movie editor and I have some footage on DVD ex VHS tape that I want to edit. The manual says it will import VOB streams as long as they are saved unencoded to your hard disc. I assumed this meant as TS but as I had a couple of flaws Ie one clip had about a third missing I Wondered if they meant something else.

OK.. ;)
one of the other differnces between a native mpeg and vob is that while
mpeg files can be any size, vob files tend to be limited to a maximium of 1Gb.

This means that a scene might be split between 2 vobs if it happens around the 1Gb cut off point.
This would not normally happen in a mpeg but since the flow of video would be continuos in a DVD you may not notice unless you play the vob in isolation.

Reencoding as stated by Magix probably means using software to change the vob to mpeg instead of leaving it as it is or simply renaming it.

The Video_ts folder also has *.ifo and bup files which are menu navigational files and thier backups which are not needed for editng since you will have broken any existing menu links during editing and would probably create a new menu anyway

At any rate I hope Ive answered your query

Afrid that doesn't appear to workI import one file say v1 ts_vob about 1g and only part of it is there . If I import the same file to adobe premier it is all there . Anyone any idea why Magix gives this problem?

I really dont know how magix works:eek:
But i can suggest that you capy a vob file to Hdd , rename its extension to mpg, and then run it thru various players esp VLC to see just what it contains
When you say Premiere do you mean Premirere Pro or Premiere Elements?

It says to copy to HDD which I did giving me vob_1 2 and 3 on importing Vob_1 it shows in the timeline most of the frames but only plays a part of it. I did the same in adobe premiere elements 2 and it was fine saved as mpeg went back to magix and it was all there.I'll have a look at what you suggested Senu but but what am I looking for?
Thanks again

jaymac said:
It says to copy to HDD which I did giving me vob_1 2 and 3 on importing Vob_1 it shows in the timeline most of the frames but only plays a part of it. I did the same in adobe premiere elements 2 and it was fine saved as mpeg went back to magix and it was all there.I'll have a look at what you suggested Senu but but what am I looking for?
Thanks again

When you say it plays part of it doyou mean that even at the end of the timeline only part has played or do you mean it doesn go to the end?

If you mean the former then magix is somehow cutting of some video....

I am not sure why as Ive never used it and unlike most other software I dont have it one one of my machines to do a small test: You might find the answer in one of thier FAQs or user forums.

All I can say is that the handling of VOBS and mpegs by the editing software is gradually improving and you may be experiencing a bug in Magix which has a fix or for which one is being sought.

The former Senu It goes to the end of the timeline but has onlyshown about the first few minutes . I ran theVob file through Video-re-do 's quickstream fix and saved it as mpeg. Then imported back to magix and it was all there and played . I also ran the Vob on elements as I said again saved as mpeg imported that to magix and it was ok.It must be something to do with magix.
Thanks for your help I'll just have to work around it for the moment.No good asking Magix I'm sure. One thing Senu how does one rename a VOB file extension cant just rename it
Thanks

Magix may have this querk or maybe yours needs reinstalling or "repairing" :confused: : which ever it is not behaving well:thumbsdow
Good you have a workaround.

jaymac said:
One thing Senu how does one rename a VOB file extension cant just rename it

You can rename any file ( main name or extension) simply by selecting, right clicking, selecting rename and typing over the new name

As such, VTS 01 2.vob simply becomes VTS 01 2.mpg

If you cannot see the VTS 01 2.vob ( ie dot vob ) to change it is because the file extension is hidden ( as it can be by default)
To unhide it
select from a windows explorer window menu bar
Tools
then : Folder options
Chose the "view" tab
And look under: Advanced settings
Untick the box: "Hide file extensions for known file types"
choose ok

The *.vob extension ( and all others) should now be visible for renaming in the usual way. Take care not to remove the "dot" after the file name and dont leave any space after it so that XXX.vob becomes XXX.mpg not XXXmpg or XXX. mpg
HTH:thumbsup:
You can leave the PC this way ( I do) or once finished go back hiding the extensions after youve done your renaming.

Now I get it thanks Senu but doesnt make any difference.It looks as if it is the actual VOB files that are at fault. I tried a commercial Vob file and that was ok. I should have realised this when the files played ok after running through Video re do 's Quick stream fix. Alas the only way I have to get some old VHS camcorder footage onto the PC Without installing a card is to record it on dvd first.This must be where the problem lies although the dvd plays fine.Still I dont have too many to do and it only takes a couple of minutes to run through quickfix Thanks again for all the help
Jay

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom