1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB File

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by KoKelly, Feb 25, 2005.

1. KoKelly

KoKelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Does anyone know of a way to add music and chapter titles to a VOB file? I got old footage I had ( all silent film ) transfered to DVD and I have imported the files onto my computer. The biggest files are all VOB files. I tried DVD Lab but I keep getting errors on the menu connections for some reason. Would I be better off investing in a DVD recorder and put on titles and chapter markings with it? I may not be able to add music that way though.
    All I want to go is put titles at the start to get to different scenes ( like a normal DVD ) and add nice background music since the film is silent.

If their are any DVD Lab experts who may know what wrong either that may sort it.

Thanks
    K.
    :lease:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have managed to copy the .vob files to your computer then it is quite likely that you will just be able to rename them to .mpg and then import them into any video editing package and do what you like with them - just rename #####.vob to #####.mpg where the dashes are your actual filename.

3. fcat

fcat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IN Theory you shouldnt really edit MPEG files, it can lead to big problems especially with Synch probalems, however i dont believe your actually wanting to edit the actual footage, just add a DVD style menu with scene selection options.

Heres what ide do(and have done many times in the past)

Due to you actually having a VOB file first off you need to seperate the "audio" and the video into 2 different streams, even though its a silent film the VOB file is still a combined audio/video file.

All the programmes i mention in the text below are available on the net, tyry google, apart from REEL DVD authoring programme.

Download VOBedit and sperate the VOB into 2 files, youll end up with an M2v video file and an AC3 audio file, delete the audio file as it will be "blank"

Find out how long the actual video clip is and create your music to be added make the audio into a WAV file the same length as the video.

Beg, borrow or St***l a copy of REEL DVD authoring programme, this handles seperate video and audio elementry streams. import your M"V file into REEL, then drop your WAV file on the top of it, you then need to create cha[ppter points, in REEL you just drag the pointer along the timeline to the point you want a new chapter and press the make chapter button. Once all this is done you'll have to make menus and buttons for the DVD, import these into REEL dvd and re author. As the video file isnt being re encoded the video quality will be the same as it was.

Shout if you need any more help, unfortunatly it sounds a lot more complicated than it is, and it is a lot easier when you know how!!

Fcat

4. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KoKelly - can you provide some more information on the errors you are getting in DVD Lab.
    DVD Lab is able to do all of what fcat suggests without the need for any other software, so it is probably worth persevering with that as you already have it.