1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMR softer than Overlay - 6600GT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JohnS, Feb 25, 2005.

1. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As the title, using Theatretek 2.1 with new renderless mode.

I have AA set to 0 and AF set to max, FFDshow enabled with a little denoise before resize and then a little sharpness. With overlay the picture is superb with both ripped dvd and hidef. In vmr9 renderless the picture whilst ok, seems to take on a haze, as though looking through a glass film thats not perfectly clear, no tearing or other problems, it just doesn't seem as sharpe or 3D as when using overlay.

Are there any other settings for vmr that might not be correct?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Odd, since nVidia are generally better at VMR than Overlay .. and reports on TT's forum are saying renderless VMR is sharper than ever. You've set AA and AF as they're supposed to be, especially AA as that's the usual culprit where softening is concerned.

I'd suggest posting this on TT's forum, I'm sure Vern or Karnis would have some suggestions.

OTOH, if Overlay is 'superb' maybe it's time to cease twiddling? ;)

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That's what I did :smashin:

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys, re-assuring to know that my settings are likely ok, its just that with the hype around these things we alaways tend to wonder if we are missing out on something someone else has, especially when its a no cost change.....

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I understand only too well the "if I just try this tweak" syndrome. :) Also knowing that there's supposedly a better result if you do x, y or z. I ditched a 6800GT due to problems with getting reliable refresh rates and reverted to an R9600, in doing so I was supposedly going back to an inferior system. While it's quite plausible the nVidia would improve things a tad the PQ I get with the 9600 is so good that I don't bother about it not being as good as may be possible.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Having done a nearly side by side (2 different htpc's in the same room feeding a HS20 in turn) of a 9600 in one machine and the 6600 in my machine, at the time we both prefered the picture from the radeon. I have tweaked since and improved things and the pj was calibrated to the 9600 and not my 6600 but even so.....

I'm sure if both were properly calibrated there would be nothing in it.