• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

vmc thumbnails

garethbowers

Standard Member
1st of all im new so id just like to say hello.

has anyone had any problems adding a thumbnail to their ripped dvd's? using vista media centre>?

ive tried eg: c:\My Dvd's\trainspotting\folder.jpg but to no avail.

just shows as a blank thumbnail

any ideas?

kind regards gareth:hiya:

garethbowers

Standard Member
anyone? also ive done the registry hack via microsoft to enable the dvd gallery, no when i click the new dvd section vmc stops working. any ideas

i have Vista Home Premium, the hack worked fine for 5 mins but then i got the message VMC has stopped workin, now whenever i click to go into my dvd library i get the same message and VMC closes?

any ideas, Oh i did the hack via the Windows Fix

Last edited:

cliff_wright

Novice Member
I can't really help you with why the registry hack hasn't worked for you, but in my setup all the 'Folder.jpg' images have a Capital F . . . not sure if this makes a difference but it works fine for me . . .

If not, try downloading the dvdid.xml file from http://www.dvdxml.com and save this to the folder where the DVD files are . . .

Hope this helps

Cliff

:)

garethbowers

Standard Member
cliff thanks for the reply mate appreciated. i have tried both the methods you described but nothing?

i really need to get vmc to work now i need to find a fix, i really dont want to have to format and re-install

rharris

Standard Member
hi, i had problems with my thumbnails in vista once i'd got about 20+ films in there. i'm pretty sure it was the size/quality of the images. when i switched to mymovies, vista had no problems displaying their smaller sized thumbnails.

cliff_wright

Novice Member
Hmmm . . . Sounds to me like something has changed in the registry that shouldn't have . . .

Hard to say really without being there to play with it . . .

All I can suggest is try to put everything back to how it started, then follow each step again carefully . . . The hard part would be 'putting it back to how it started' I guess . . .

Hmmm . . . .

timberwolf

Established Member
Hmmm . . . Sounds to me like something has changed in the registry that shouldn't have . . .

Hard to say really without being there to play with it . . .

All I can suggest is try to put everything back to how it started, then follow each step again carefully . . . The hard part would be 'putting it back to how it started' I guess . . .

Hmmm . . . .

There is an option in windows to disable using thumbs and folder.jpg. I think its in folder settings somewhere and this is applied to MCE and explorer. Hopefully you can find ti and enable it

mc6701

Established Member
Hi Gareth,

When you say you have ripped your dvd's what format have you put them in?? My understanding is that you would need to rip them to a 'video_ts' format for that dvd library hack to show the Folder jpeg and run like the original dvd.....sounds as if you have ripped them to AVI's???

My system for some reason also shows some avi's as black thumbs but only ones that i have imported.......if i have downloaded the avi via my media centre it shows a proper thumb!?!?

Also the issue with vmc.......is it when you are watching a film if you select another film to watch then click on the play button does it crash??? Cos mine does.....but if i click on 'restart' it's fine???

Also i use dvd library manager to keep a track of my dvd's........it will add the folder jpeg and film discription etc etc that will show in vista media centre.

If you look here......this is my system set up and you can see how my system shows my ripped dvd collection.

Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

cliff_wright

Novice Member
Hi Gareth,

When you say you have ripped your dvd's what format have you put them in?? My understanding is that you would need to rip them to a 'video_ts' format for that dvd library hack to show the Folder jpeg and run like the original dvd.....sounds as if you have ripped them to AVI's???

My system for some reason also shows some avi's as black thumbs but only ones that i have imported.......if i have downloaded the avi via my media centre it shows a proper thumb!?!?

Also the issue with vmc.......is it when you are watching a film if you select another film to watch then click on the play button does it crash??? Cos mine does.....but if i click on 'restart' it's fine???

Also i use dvd library manager to keep a track of my dvd's........it will add the folder jpeg and film discription etc etc that will show in vista media centre.

If you look here......this is my system set up and you can see how my system shows my ripped dvd collection.

Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

Hmmm . . .

I was assuming that by "ripped DVD's", we were talking about extracted DVD files resulting in a VIDEO_TS type folder with the various .vob, .bup and .iso files . . . if you've re-endcoded the video files to something else like an .avi file then things are very different . . .

Can you confirm how you've "ripped" your DVD's?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom