VMC Recording and sleep

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by rwttm001, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi all:hiya:

Quick question, I've set the bios to S3 STR sleep but it won't sleep if a recording is taking place, is this normal? Also, does the HTPC need to wake to record, and can you configure it to sleep again once the recording is finished?By the way I'm using VMC with TV Pack.

2. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes, it is normal that the computer has to be awake to perform a recording. If it's asleep there's no way it could record anything.

3. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    So how do you handle when the recording is finished, as it could be in the middle of the night with no user input for hours?

4. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It goes back to sleep automatically.

5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    S3 is sleep mode where the operating system is stored in RAM and the power is kept on the RAM. Otherwise, everything is off. At the appointed time the system is fully woken up, the recording is made normally and on completion, the system is returned to sleep.

To check standby settings use MCE Standby Tool: Slick Solutions - Home of the MCE Standby Tool (MST)

6. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Spent the last hour trying to test the auto record wake/sleep with no joy as the HTPC won't sleep after the first resumption, and sometimes sound is gone, sometimes not! This is after instaling MCE Standby Tool too. When it does'nt enter properly the video signal is lost but the HTP's fans still spin and the power button light is on, and a tap of any button on the remote brings the video signal back instantly.

Are there any common causes to look out for that would stop a PC entering sleep/stand by?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    If it doesn't go to sleep, is the system busy? downloading program guide, software updates, virus checking etc. I assume you have an iR remote and you have told the system to wake on usb?

Which tv card and remote do you have?

8. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Not that I can see. I have a Nova HD-S2 DVB-S card, a Nova T-500 DVB-T card and a Philips SRM5100 USB remote which does put it into S3 and wake it, but intermittently. Have tried removing all USB input to no avail, have also done a little testing and it appears as though it won't sleep if either a recording is taking place or is due within the next 10 minutes (!). I'm going to work through this article to see if I've missed anything obvious.

Also, having read about atothej's thread I seem to be missing the Media heading in advanced power options, I'm sure I have had it in there though.

If it's not possible to put it to sleep while recording, I guess I need to set the system to sleep on idle somehow (MST?) - the Windows power settings do not appear to do this.

9. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    OK, followed the guide and my HTPC will go to sleep providing no recordings are currently taking place, however as I said earlier if a recording is coming up (within 10-15 mins?) then it doesn't, only turning off the display. Is this normal are am I making it up?

Also, is it possible to say 'Sleep after this recording', or do folks just set up an idle timer?

10. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Somewhere in the VMC settings you can set how long before/after a program you record for.

On my system, if it's recording, if you press "off" the screen and sound blanks but otherwise the machine is completely on. When the recording has finished, it all goes to sleep and the monitor eventually goes into standby.

clearly something is keeping it on. Do your hard drives stop spinning after a time?

Do your peripherals support sleep mode (have you got an ancient graphics card?)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  11. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yes, I have these set at 3 minutes padding either side.

That's the same behaviour as I have. However it does seem that if a recording is imminent that it won't sleep, as if the developers deem it not worth the hassle of sleep for under 10 minutes or so. Does anyone else have this behaviour?

The machine does actually sleep perfectly when no recording is taking place/or about to take place, so I think I'm happy enough with this now, thanks for sticking with me on this.:thumbsup: