1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM1/sub advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Supernosh, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Would like an opinion and a bit of advice if possible.

I have recently bought the following kit:

6 x B&W VM1's
    1 x B&W ASW675 sub
    1 x Pioneer 2011

The question I have is that it doesnt sound very rich/deep on normal playback i.e. when normal music or whatever is on the film sounds a little vague and with little base. When the sub kicks in the though house shakes and just sounds a bit mental!!

TBH it sounds and seems a little odd to me as I thought the sub would make up for the lack of base in the VM1's at all times not just when there is an explosion or lots of base.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the setup of my kit? Do I need to get different front speakers?

I have come from a bit of a mixture of a setup but at times it seems like it was better and richer at the front (this is even without a sub).

I am a bit confused as I have spent a LOT of money on upgrades and tbh I am not as blown away as I though I would be??

Any help would be sweeet!

old kit - marantz 4200, b&w 602's, mission centre and some odd rears!!

2. rsamdal

rsamdal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you set the speakers to small in the speaker setup on your 2011.

I've got the VM1's myself (with an AS1) and they sound great.

Roger

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, all set to small. Still something missing!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The B&W is an excellent sub so it would seem that perhaps you have a setup problem somewhere.

You are supposed to be aiming for seamless integration of sub and satellites which is possible with the pairing that you have but you haven't yet achieved audio Nirvana.

I don't fully understand the symptoms that you have described and it sounds like you have an "auto on" or a crossover problem.

Can you let us know what settings you have applied on the sub and at the amp end and we can see if there is anything obvious.

The other possibility is a room problem. Try moving the sub around to different places in the room (even moving it a foot) and see if that makes any difference

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the basics too,

1)make sure all speakers are wired correctly (polarity)
    2)calibrate the system with a SPL as soon as possible
    3)experiment a bit with the placement of the subwoofer...being sure to recalibrate the system and to tweak the phase control on the subwoofer with each move.

Tom V.
    SVS

6. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I have had a look at the sub settings and they are the following:

Volume - 9 oclock
    low pass freq - 100
    eq - a
    lower pass filter - out
    phase - 180

The only thing I could find on the amp settings was the 'crossover network' which is set to 80Hz.

I did the auto setup thing on the amp which seems to have sorted out volumes and distances etc so I guess there is no need for a SPL meter.

Unfortunately I cant move the sub anywhere! At the moment it is behinf the TV cabinet as that is the only place the kids wont destroy it!!

Thanks guys!

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    If you can get the sub from behind the tv and then place it in different locations to see if that is whats causing you problems.If it is that you will at least have your answer. you can then try to get the sub in a better location or wait till the kids get a little older.When i owned the asw675 it hated having anything in front of it, it really mucked up the sound ,I positioned it so it fired in to open space at a angle and it really sounded great.Btw my settings where exactly the same as yours so on that side it seems fine.
    Gonzo.:)

8. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have a play when the kids have gone to bed, unfortunately it will be a while before they are speaker friendly. Wife gets upset when I try to kill the kids for messing with my speakers!!

so you dont think its a lack of base in the fronts?

Should the sub add warmth, depth and base to parts of the soundtrack that dont have the big bangs?

Cheers all!

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    Yes it should add depth and warmth intergrating with your vm1s the sub will fill the gap were your speakers frequency tails off,Quite a few people on the forums own the vm1s and say they offer a good balance of sound considering they are classed as satellites. Saying that i have the nad t752 receiver which ive been told gives a smooth warm sound anyway.
    I really do think that having the sub behind the tv is whats causing the problem as i said when you first got your system the sub doesnt like having anything close in front of it.
    Hope you can sort somthing out.
    Cheers Gonzo.

10. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. Will have a go at moving the beast and see what happens.

Bloody kids!!!!:mad: :mad: