1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM1 rears with 602s fronts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SD_David, Mar 11, 2005.

1. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was all set to buy the following B&W gear:

Fronts - 602 S3
    Center - LCR60 S3
    Rears - 600 S3
    Sub - ASW650

Then, I listened to a pair of VM1s instead of the 600s...they sounded clearer than the 600s.

I need help deciding...opinions anyone...600 or VM1 for the rear surrounds?

Help :)

2. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, the room is 10.5 x 14.5 feet. I should have also mentioned that I will probably be more interested in movie 5.1 than music.

Thanks!

3. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon the 600s would look better..
    but your own ears have told you that the VMs sound better to you. 'official' answer i guess is go for whatever sounds best. If I were you, it would depend on how much of a difference there was.. if only a little I'd probably go for the 600s cos I like having a matching system.. guess im just a sucker ;)

4. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Matther54

I tend to go for matching systems too actually...I guess that this time I'm hesitant to put the box of the 600 on the wall where the slim VM1 sounds ok and is a little less obtrusive. I just don't want to do something for cosmetic reasons that I'm going to end up regretting...20 minutes demo in a store is not much to go on.

5. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True..

think it over for a week or so, then book a long demo (at least 1 hour) in the store and go over lots of things, music, movies etc. You'll find you are more sure second time around. (At least thats what I've found).

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Differences in tone between front and rears tend to be more pronounced with multi channel music than in movies with many films not having much coming from the rear speakers at all.

7. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying that if movies is the focus then the tone won't make much difference one way or another...perhaps I should concentrate more on the aesthetics?
    Thanks

8. SD_David

SD_David

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea...Thanks for the tip.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have fairly forward M&K speakers at the front and I used to have laid back Mission bipoles at the rear and the combination was fairly succesful for films but got tripped up on some multi channel music (Dark Side of the Moon on SACD)