1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM1 or Eggs anyone ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Pleasant, May 23, 2003.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm itching to read a review of the 2005.2 eggs or even some general comments on the new version (other than the official blurb). KB should be able to point me in the right direction, but there's been no sign of him for a while.

'ello?

Ben?

Ben?

2. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, Ben! Thanks for that. I notice with interest that a lot of work has gone into the new sub, but I am a satellite-only user (courtesy of an old REL) so it's the design changes to the eggs themselves that interest me most. From what I've read, I've assumed the new wider frequency response is intended to bring the satellites in line with SACD and DVD-A requirements, but I'm hoping for improvements for regular CD and DVD listening too.

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should ask this question I have asked it on another forum!!

I had a demo of these because I am in the throws of deciding between the KEF's and the B&W VM1's.

When I demo'd the MK1's they didnt compare to the B&W's in my opinion in any way.

I had a listen to the MK2's today and it really seems like they have done a great job!!!

The high and mid range seemed way clearer and the satelites really seemed to sparkle and the sub is a massive improvement (you can actually hear/feel it now!!)

I was going to buy the B&W's but am now going to have to change my mind I think!! Especially with this megga deal:

http://209.167.103.167/KHT2.htm

A £200 saving with free speaker cable as well. The difference is now so sligh that I cant justify the difference!!

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Supernosh aka family man! Just clicked that link in your post over on the DVD forums. I think you must be the first forumite to hear and report on the mark 2s. So when are you going to make your final decision? For me, the VM1s were never an option - I wasn't after a 'lifestyle' system, I wanted small, but still hi fi. Those columnar B&Ws aren't exactly discreet...

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn I've been rumbled!!!

I think the MK2's are a better native package (I think they have better sub but I think the satellites on the VM1's are better) but I did prefer the VM1's when partnered with a ASM675.

That unfortunately puts the whole package up to £1250 and I really didnt think it was twice as good.

Taking into account the improved sound quality, depth, clarity and the fact that the sub and sat work better together I think (for the price, especially £650!) the MK2's are pretty much impossible to beat!!

I have (for the time being) decided on the MK2's!!! I will be picking one up next Saturday. The company from the link I showed are no longer allowed to 'distance sell' so I have to take a treck to Shrewsbury which should take me 5 hrs or so!! Still worth it for that much of a saving!!

6. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's a long drive for half a dozen eggs! Please post up a review when you've got them wired up. I'm using a pair of Mk I eggs with a REL Q50 at the moment for stereo, the plan now being to relegate the current pair to surround duties and buy 3 of the Mk IIs for the front array when I make the move to 5.1. Although the dreaded 'compromise' word can't be avoided, it seems the new version of the eggs has closed that gap further between conventional enclosures and the convenience of the egg size and design. Your demo report suggests this is the case! I just hope KEF haven't made the new eggs too bright sounding in their quest for greater clarity and 'sparkle' - I really like the overall balance of the originals.

7. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to anyone who lent some advice!!

I ended up going for the following:

5 x B&W VM1's
    1 x B&W ASW675.

I am well excited and looking forward to picking it all up and installing on Friday!!

Will post my thoughts when its all set up!!

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Out of interest I e-mailed creative audio and they do five of the mk2's for £399!
    I may even drive to shrewsbury to get them if my local audio excellence won't price match them!

9. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Supernosh,

Do you mind me asking where you're buying the VM1s from ? My local dealer seems pretty reluctant to discount from list price.

I was thinking of 5 x VM1 with an AS1 or Quake

Did you find the AS675 sounded a lot better - it's a fair bit more expensive than the AS1 ?

My room is average sized - about 5.5 x 4 m

10. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought them from Audio T. They will always be reluctant to discount but you need to give them a reason to!!

I just phoned up and said that Sevenoaks had offered me a 10% discount and a deal on the cable and would they match that. They said they would and jobs a good un!!

As to whether the sub sounds better I can only say that it totally transformed the system from good to amazing!! It really does make a massive amount of difference!!

I whent through the same thing as you which was weeks of deliberation and faffing about. In the end it came down to the fact that any other combination didnt sound as good and no matter how hard I told myself off for wanting to spend an extra £400 I kept going back to it.

I would suggest having a listen and seeing what you think. The only thing I would say is that only go and listen if you are prepared/able to spend the extra cos for me once I heard it there really was no other choice!!

Hope that help?!?!

11. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What a cheek! Someone's been and gone and changed the title of this thread! I know it departed somewhat from the call to KEF Ben, but even so. (Maybe someone is trying to protect Ben from the awful truth that Supernosh picked the VM1s over the MkII eggs...)

12. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt do it Mister, honest!!

;)

13. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Well I've paid for my mkII eggs and I will be picking them up from creative audio tomorrow. Only £399 for five , bargain!

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

And I'll bet KEF BEN (of Maidstone) is now hiding in a dark place or informing his sales manger about dealers offering discounts on-line - especially on new products :(

Best regards

Joe

15. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who's had an online discount??

16. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Picked up the 3005 series Kef eggs with the bundled 10" 300W sub last weekend at my local Peterborough Sevenoaks for 'only' £799.

They are awesome! Stunning quality for DVD and audio.

One happy bunny here.

Big A

17. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    3005? Now I'm confused! You mean the mkIIs? Did you compare them with anything else? Next week should see the arrival of What Hi Fi? at the newsagents with the promised review. Looking forward to reading that. The buzz is that these new jobs are superb.

18. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 3005 package = 5x Special Edition MkII eggs (chrome finish) with a hefty 300W (PSW3000?) sub.

Lush.

Big A

19. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    The B&Wasw675 does take a while to run in as you will find out.The sub will get to sound even better when the subs suspension softens up.Have you seen its internals on the B&W site its very well braced.
    cheers Gonzo.:)

20. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I will have a look at that.

Its all sat in my kitchen at the moment. Will be setting it all up this evening!!