VM - what a joke

bettybennett

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
trying to download files, they are downloading between 1mbps at the highest, and 4kbps at the slowest. Doing a speedtest, it reads my download speed is just over 19mbps on my laptop, but on the same site, it reads as 4mbps on my iPad.
When I phoned virgin media, I was on the phone for 75minutes, and they still can't resolve my problem of such slow download speeds. They did however remotely put my laptop in safe mode, which I can't get out of.
Even when I press F8 and choose to restart windows normally, it still opens in safe mode, and takes forever to get to the password screen.
VM then told me to call a number, which was VM home digital team, telling me they can sort my laptop out tonight for £60!
They told me to open it in safe mode with command prompt, which I did. I was then told to call back after 10pm, as it is a long process, and new advisors started at 10!
Anybody else have this problem? My laptop was running fine until they took remote access of it

Have you tried resetting it to an earlier save point?

Also I have noticed slow DL speeds on VM...

Last edited:
why would virgin remotely put your laptop into safe mode?

The other question is why would you let them remotely connect in to begin with?

Some more details about your internet package/ equipment and what you are using to download could help solve reason for slow speeds

in safemode (start => run => msconfig), go to the boot tab and uncheck /safeboot. The computer will then start normal at next restart. if this doesn't work then they have changed or messed up something which then they have to sort it out for free.

Sorry triplea4uk, but I stupidly thought by them taking remote access, they actually knew what they were doing and could solve the issue I had.
The safe mode is unticked in msconfig, the only option I had was to load a recovery disk, which is now on the last stage, but taking forever to reinstall the selected backup

Speed tests using a wireless laptop and a iPad will give different results. That is because you are testing your wi-fi speed which older iPads/iPhones are not very good at. Only the very latest iPad has got a decent throughput. To test your actually internet connection, you need to either connect with standard PC or your laptop connected via a wired ethernet lead direct to the router.

Speedtest on wifi works fine if you have a decent laptop/wifi adapter. If you only have 802.11g it will limit you to 20Mbish. My phone just got 34Mb down and 3.1Mb up.

I'm on 60Mb but my area isn't upgraded so I've only got 5% upload speed.

Looks like it works fine to me. Use the London Namesco server, it usually gives got results.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom