VM upstairs too?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by beaster22, May 1, 2007.

1. beaster22

beaster22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We have just had virgin media installed and the guy also put a connection upstairs so we can get another box and just use the viewing card from the downstairs one when we want to. Does anyone know a good box that's not too dear that will do the job? Also, the connection coming out of the box upstairs does not look like the one downstairs. Confused? I am!!:)

2. timetraveller

timetraveller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :confused: ME TOO!

As far as I know the cards are paired to the STB so that would not allow you to use one card in another box. Also, boxes belong to VM so even if you could get one IT WOULDN'T WORK!

What sort of end is on the upstairs cable? It would be an 'F' type connecter if it was for an additional STB.

3. beaster22

beaster22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt realise the cards were paired! Just trying to get out of having to get another box from vm (not sure if they charge for these) and paying an extra £10 a month! You are indeed correct, it is an f connector (looks like the 'male' end of a co-ax)
    So apart from splitting the signal where it comes in, I would have to get another box through vm?

Cheers for your help by the way!

4. beaster22

beaster22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooo, one more thing, if I hardwire from the incoming connection, how do I connect the cable to the tv? God, I feel so stupid! And I am normally so good at these things!:confused:

5. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    An F connector & a male plug are two different connectors. Which one is it?

Also, if you trace the cable back downstairs, what does it connect to? Does it connect to a splitter, or the back of the VM box, or somewhere else?

6. beaster22

beaster22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Its an F connector. The wire goes into a splitter (along with another wire which I am assuming is the connection that goes to the downstairs VM box) and these go into one which I assume must be the feed coming in from outside. Its difficult to tell because all the cables etc are behind the walls!

7. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have tried this myself and it didnt work. this was using an old Ntl box. What happens with aftermarket boxes? for example the Dbox, Im assuming with these boxes you just plug them in and go (not sure of legalities here as far as i know such boxes may open up all channels)

Mark

8. timetraveller

timetraveller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I would think that if you connected the STB from downstairs it would work OK. Might be and idea just to try as it would prove the cable connection is working.