VM Tivo box not working via receiver

meltonboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've messing around with various boxes, settings and a new TV. Now my creaky tivo box will only work when connected to my new screen (LG 48 C1). It won'r work via my Denon AVR-X3100W receiver, even though it was working for years. I'm not getting audio to the amp or video to the screen. I tested on my old screen before recycling it and it would't work via the amp to that but would work directly.

So i'm thinking it must be a setting on the TIVO box?

I'm getting the 360 box shortly but wanted to solve this in case i had the same issue.

Thanks for any suggestions

MB

Basically it's to do with hdcp2.2.
I'm guessing your old tv wasn't 4k and your new one is and it's hdcp2.2 compliant.
If anything in the chain is not compliant you won't get a picture and the tivo box isn't.
I had the same issue and rectified it with an hdmi splitter.
This problem comes up quite often

Thanks. After a bit more searching I’ve seen that my amp isn’t 2.2 compliant. But my brand new UHD BR player passes through fine. And I had the same problem with my old TV today (but not before today).

Let’s see when the 360 boots up. I wasn’t going looking to buy a new amp.

MB

The V6 and the 360 box has a rather rudimentry implementation of HDCP 2.2 that applies the restrictions regardless of whether or not the content is UHD or 1080p in nature. The player basocally applies the checks and prevents any output regardless of what it is you are trying to output. A UHD disc player would downscale any IHD content to 1080p in onstances where it doesn't detect HDCP 2.2 compliance, your TiVo box doesn't and cannot make any cxompromises. THis issue on;y arises if you've a setup where you've a mixture of HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.2 compliant devices in the same HDMI chain.

It a deficiency with the V6 and its implimentation of HDCP. THe SKY STBs have much the same issue.

Given the fact that your AV receiver doesn't include Atmos decoding then I can only suggest you consider connecting the 360 STB directly to your TV and then pass the audio through and out to your AVR using ARC? This should resolve the HDCP conflict? You'd be able to convey the DD 5.1 audio associated with most broadcasts using the version of ARC your TV and AVR are compliant with. This way you'll get access to both such audio and UHD as well as HD encoded video content.

Last edited:
Thanks @dante01

I've now had my new 360 box installed and it seems to pass through the amp ok. I was watching Leicester City loose on Saturday on BT ultimate in 4k and DD+ so it looks like it has worked out !

I was thinking of an option B where i hook up the 360direct to the screen and have the sound from the 360 to the amp via optical as i think that does DD+, but your solution would have been one less cable.

MB

(PS i think you've been helping me on and off since i joined AVF in 2005 - so an extra thanks from one veteran member to another :thumbsup:)

S/PDIF Optical cannot convey DD+ and would be limited to the lower bitraye associated with the more conventional Dolby Digital. ARC can gowever convey DD+.

Related question - there's an option to always output DD+ from the 360 box, or just output the source audio. My intuition is that a 6y old denon amp would do a better job of processing the sound (eg applying Dolby PL cinema from stereo), or is this wrong?

MB

Related question - there's an option to always output DD+ from the 360 box, or just output the source audio. My intuition is that a 6y old denon amp would do a better job of processing the sound (eg applying Dolby PL cinema from stereo), or is this wrong?

MB

Are you sure about the options you are given?

I think that there's a FOLLOW CONTENT option on the box in relation to the DOLBY AUDIO setting? I'd set it this this as I believe that this setting would give you exactly whatever the content is encoded with without any conversion?

Last edited:
Are you sure about the options you are given?

I think that there's a FOLLOW CONTENT option on the box in relation to the DOLBY AUDIO setting? I'd set it this this as I believe that this setting would give you exactly whatever the content is encoded with without any conversion?
Hi mate.

I had forgotten the exact phrase and you are correct that it is "follow content". I have switched it to that. I typically convert "non-dolby digital" tv audio into PL2 Cinema 5.1. The question is whether the amp is better placed to do than compared with the 360 box.

Cheers

MB

Hi mate.

I had forgotten the exact phrase and you are correct that it is "follow content". I have switched it to that. I typically convert "non-dolby digital" tv audio into PL2 Cinema 5.1. The question is whether the amp is better placed to do than compared with the 360 box.

Cheers

MB
BITSTREAMING sends the audio unadulterated the to the AV receiver . Let the AV receiver do any upmixing if and when required. This is what the AV receiver is designed to do.

I've also seen reports that suggest the option to output everything as Dolby Digital results in audio latency issues andlipsync problems so not advisable to use that option.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom