VM outdoor cables

lehial

Novice Member
Reaction score
HI guys.

Recently had VM come by to sort my broadband out. I have a old VM Box i use for freeview in another room but the VM guy removed the splitter in the brown box outside so that cable is now loose and no longer active.

Is it as simple as me just buying a splitter and installing it in that box outside or will that not work? Believe it of not the cable running into my dusty old VM box was installed by telewest all those years ago so VM do not know i had an old box still running with it.

Also, does anybody know what splitters VM use?

Virgin Media don't carry Freeview and neither do they allow you to use additional boxes that they aren't renting to you. If you were legitimately renting a second box from Virgin Media then they'd have facilitated a cable feed to it. If the engineer renewed the cabling then it is also likely that they updated the feed coming to your building? You'd more than likely now not be able to use legacy hardware not actually acknowledged by Vurgin Media in association with your account.

Anyway, leave the box on the outside of the building alone. Virgin Media can terminate your service provision if you mess with it! If you have to split the signal then do so on the inside of the building. Here's the type of splitter you'd require:

https://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/fbs402/splitter-2-way-power-pass/dp/AP02109?mckv=sfxCYmIjQ_dc|pcrid|224680055011|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AP02109|pgrid|51011277550|ptaid|pla-427213548916|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpvq49q6b4AIViUPTCh0OJQMbEAQYAiABEgJZCvD_BwE

Also note that using unauthorised hardware to gain access to Virgin Media's cable TV network is actually deemed a criminal act in alignment with current UK copyright protection laws.

Last edited:
Virgin Media don't carry Freeview and neither do they allow you to use additional boxes that they aren't renting to you. If you were legitimately renting a second box from Virgin Media then they'd have facilitated a cable feed to it. If the engineer renewed the cabling then it is also likely that they updated the feed coming to your building? You'd more than likely now not be able to use legacy hardware not actually acknowledged by Vurgin Media in association with your account.

Anyway, leave the box on the outside of the building alone. Virgin Media can terminate your service provision if you mess with it! If you have to split the signal then do so on the inside of the building. Here's the type of splitter you'd require:

https://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/fbs402/splitter-2-way-power-pass/dp/AP02109?mckv=sfxCYmIjQ_dc|pcrid|224680055011|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AP02109|pgrid|51011277550|ptaid|pla-427213548916|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpvq49q6b4AIViUPTCh0OJQMbEAQYAiABEgJZCvD_BwE

Also note that using unauthorised hardware to gain access to Virgin Media's cable TV network is actually deemed a criminal act in alignment with current UK copyright protection laws.

Virgin used to have the free basic Freeview analogue channels on there network which can be tuned using a normal analogue TV tuner. No idea if these still exist. As they were standard PAL I analogue and not encrypted I can't see it being any sort of illegal. Reception of FTA content is most certainly not illegal provided you have a TV licence.

Virgin used to have the free basic Freeview analogue channels on there network which can be tuned using a normal analogue TV tuner.
It was a legal requirement that they provide the old analogue channels, whether or not you were a subscriber, if there was a cable feed to your property.

Like you, I have no idea if there is any such requirement since DSO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom