VM or BT for broadband only?

jimscreechy

Well in technical environments Latency tends not to be used in such an absolute fashion unless it is being specifically referenced regarding some service or problem or circuit. Of course it can be easily measured, and falling outside specific standards and requirements can, as we all know cause issues.

If I say there is latency on a video service, some trunk, or connection providing a latency dependent facility, it would normally relate to the effects that are being experienced due to the latency. Of course then you are dealing with absolutes.

When someone says there is more latency on this service generally, as we are here where the term far more commonly references comparative or relative latency, i.e. compared with another link to the same or similar destination or service over a different circuit, trunk or connection. Latency here is more relative. There is little point in using one term or the other where it doesn't apply since this is much more of a straw man argument.

Last edited:

oneman

The comment was somewhat pertinent though. Ping or latency needs to have a distance associated to it to work out of it is good or bad.

20ms for a couple of hundred miles to the server is ok. 200ms for a thousand or two is ok.

presumably your 20ms is to your favourite Speedtest server - which is how far away?
Exactly, somebody saying BT give 20ms is pretty meaningless.

VM give me sub 10ms most of the time accessing my more common sites and services. But I am less than 20 miles from most of the DC in the UK (i.e. London) where the majority of services have CDN presence or are hosting there. And my neighbour who I support is with BT and guess what, they have pretty much the same latency.

And would expect somebody living in the north to add 10ms or more to that latency.

jizzlejimbo

I have 2 speed test sites that I use. One which is build into the tp-link router and cloudfare.com. As you say 20ms is average but as my house is a fixed location, while the speediest server site are no. Therefore if your doing a/b testing you need to ensure you use the same sites.

I would expect anyone on openreach to average the same as me in terms of latency and jitter, Speed should be close to what your provider quotes (that hardwired from your router. For £22 I think it's a hard deal to beet.

Moving from BT FTTC to BT FTTP on various speedtests and in games my latency dropped from 20ms in most best cases to sub 10ms.

It's pretty decent.

ashenfie

Moving from BT FTTC to BT FTTP on various speedtests and in games my latency dropped from 20ms in most best cases to sub 10ms.

It's pretty decent.
No being a gamer that typical £60 per month does not make this an attractive option, even if it was an option.

I understand TalkTalk does FTTP packages for around £30, but I left them when they leaked all my card data to fraudsters

jizzlejimbo

No being a gamer that typical £60 per month does not make this an attractive option, even if it was an option.

I understand TalkTalk does FTTP packages for around £30, but I left them when they leaked all my card data to fraudsters

Yeah that's fair. I pay £53.99 I think for the 900mbps package i'm sure you could get a 150mbps package cheap.

oneman

It's pretty decent.
here is a odd thing, propagation speed is faster in copper than fibre. However I suspect copper hasn't had much investment in networking kit where as FTTP has which would explain improvement in latency.

jizzlejimbo

here is a odd thing, propagation speed is faster in copper than fibre. However I suspect copper hasn't had much investment in networking kit where as FTTP has which would explain improvement in latency.

You're right however only a few 100m are copper in FTTC. With FTTP you don't go through street cabinet that route the traffic which i'd suspect creates additional latency. FTTP is a direct line to the exchange (barring splits)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom