Answered VM coax to Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by pedrocks, Aug 21, 2018.

1. pedrocks

pedrocks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have VM installed and due to location of master socket i need to extend to my coax to another room in the house where my V6 box will be located. (running the coax here will be messy)

Being as I have CAT6 wired to every room, I was looking at whether the coax connection comming out of my master socket can be coupled to a coax-to- ethernet balun like the one found here which would convert the signal to send this over my CAT6 to the other room and then back to coax and into the V6 tv box.

Note: My master socket has a splitter sending 1 connection to the superhub and the other connection is what I want to use the balun on.

The balun supports upto 900MHz according to the spec sheet. Would this be compatible with the frequency that is sent by VM?

thanks in advance

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by dante01, Aug 21, 2018 (1 points)
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,232
    Best Answer
    You cannot convey the VM cable feed to STBs or the SuperHub by any other means other than via coax. You cannot convert this signal or get it to your STB without using coax from the entry point to that box.

The CatII balun you link to has no comprehension of the encrypted signal VirginMedia are conveying via their cable network. It would not be able to either convert it for conveyance or convert it back again prior to reaching the STB's coax input. The cable feed is not conveying video via VHF or FM. Also note that a V6 needs to send data back out so the feed has to be bi directional.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018