VM 2.4ghz to 5ghz

james_19742000

Novice Member
Ok, been with VM for Broadband for a few years, never had any problems, occasional drop out but nothing worth worrying about.

I had the 30mb connection but recently that was upgraded to 60mb I think, plus I have a SuperHub which works, can't really say much more!

Anyway, up until about 2 weeks ago all was fine, my Mac, iPad, iPhone plus all the other internet stuff in the house was working fine including my sons game console, he has an Xbox 360 and a PS3, he also has an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Tab3.

Then all of a sudden my Mac, plus my other stuff was all struggling to connect to the net, and when it did, it was so slow it was worse than old 56K dial up! Yet, my sons stuff was all working fine, no issues. Anyway, presuming it was just a drop out or something I didn't worry too much, anyway after a few days of it still not working well I decided to have a look at the router settings, switched it from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ, and everything returned to normal, everything working well, thought all was solved, anyway, son (who has been away for a week at Grand[arents) comes back and is moaning none of his stuff works, anyway, quick search reveals that neither the PS3 or Xbox are 5ghz compatible and I will need to buy adaptors to make these work again, not something I really want to do.

Also, I have noticed that the wireless range around the house isn't as good as it was previously, so ideally I want to change back to 2.4ghz so everything works as it should, however, when I do his game consoles come back to normal, but everything else in the house goes back to worse than 56K dial up!

So, is there any way to go back to 2.4GHZ in the settings or something maybe? Or do I really have to put up with buying adaptors plus having crap wireless reception around the house?

Help please, this is driving me nuts!!! Cant cop with all the moaning from my son!! Teenage son not being able to game online is worse than having teeth pulled out at the dentist!!!!

Thanks in advance.

James

nikophonics

Novice Member
For what its worth, upgraded to 50mb with them and they supplied a super hub two. This is dual band, the old one super hub one had to be either 2.4 or 5ghz. My oppo wouldn't connect at 5, but everything else was fine. Don't know if this helps you?

nikophonics

Novice Member
Oh and leave those teeth alone! Nothings worth that, you will find a solution.

timearp

This isn't a Virgin Media issue but a wireless one, follow the fault finding steps here:

[HOW TO] Diagnose Wireless Issues | AVForums

It may also be worth asking the mods to move it to the Network/NAS forum as you'll get more advice if you still need it.

Magnum26

Novice Member
Ok, been with VM for Broadband for a few years, never had any problems, occasional drop out but nothing worth worrying about.

I had the 30mb connection but recently that was upgraded to 60mb I think, plus I have a SuperHub which works, can't really say much more!

Anyway, up until about 2 weeks ago all was fine, my Mac, iPad, iPhone plus all the other internet stuff in the house was working fine including my sons game console, he has an Xbox 360 and a PS3, he also has an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Tab3.

Then all of a sudden my Mac, plus my other stuff was all struggling to connect to the net, and when it did, it was so slow it was worse than old 56K dial up! Yet, my sons stuff was all working fine, no issues. Anyway, presuming it was just a drop out or something I didn't worry too much, anyway after a few days of it still not working well I decided to have a look at the router settings, switched it from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ, and everything returned to normal, everything working well, thought all was solved, anyway, son (who has been away for a week at Grand[arents) comes back and is moaning none of his stuff works, anyway, quick search reveals that neither the PS3 or Xbox are 5ghz compatible and I will need to buy adaptors to make these work again, not something I really want to do.

Also, I have noticed that the wireless range around the house isn't as good as it was previously, so ideally I want to change back to 2.4ghz so everything works as it should, however, when I do his game consoles come back to normal, but everything else in the house goes back to worse than 56K dial up!

So, is there any way to go back to 2.4GHZ in the settings or something maybe? Or do I really have to put up with buying adaptors plus having crap wireless reception around the house?

Help please, this is driving me nuts!!! Cant cop with all the moaning from my son!! Teenage son not being able to game online is worse than having teeth pulled out at the dentist!!!!

Thanks in advance.

James
Sign in go to Advanced settings > Wireless Radio > Change from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz > Apply

Done.

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
I've got my consoles wired is that an option for you?
I've set my Superhub 2 to modem mode and then wired it to my Asus dual band router.
Hey presto 5 and 2.4Ghz and an amazing wireless range too.
My Asus sits on top of my AV stack so I've got my four consoles (below it) wired everything else is wireless.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
May be worth considering using powerlines for the consoles rather than wireless?

SyStemDeMoN

Either ask for a dual band router from VM or buy a new one.
I spent around £45 on a new one as the superhub 2 would not connect to my printer or 2 laptops in the house and was hit and miss with everything else.
Bought a TP Link and have never had any issues since.

kelly200269

I've got my consoles wired is that an option for you?
I've set my Superhub 2 to modem mode and then wired it to my Asus dual band router.
Hey presto 5 and 2.4Ghz and an amazing wireless range too.
My Asus sits on top of my AV stack so I've got my four consoles (below it) wired everything else is wireless.
I've done exactly the same. Works a treat with the Asus 'Dark Knight' :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom