VLC on Apple TV 4th Gen - Surround Sound

bigalxyz

New setup: running VLC (as well as Netflix, etc.) on an Apple TV 4th Gen. Sound into TV via HDMI and then out of the TV via digital coax to Arcam AVR250 home cinema amp.

No problems with surround sound on Netflix - works perfectly.

When I play a video file containing surround sound using VLC, I can only hear sound from the front speakers. Nothing from the rears.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong please? I can't find any relevant audio-related settings in the VLC app so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Try InFuse instead of VLC.

If the audio is surround sound InFuse usually does whatever is needed to make it work with the ATV (real time audio transcoding), VLC will not do this.

The ATV only supports AC3 Dolby 5.1 output with optical, you must disable (e-AC3) Atmos support in the ATV menu if its enabled.

bigalxyz

Thank you. As it happens, I tried InFuse after my first posting, but I ran into a problem - whenever I tried to play a file with DD or DTS, it took me to a subscription page and asked me to pay to proceed further. I wonder if I’ve done something wrong.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you. As it happens, I tried InFuse after my first posting, but I ran into a problem - whenever I tried to play a file with DD or DTS, it took me to a subscription page and asked me to pay to proceed further. I wonder if I’ve done something wrong.

Search for InFuse Pro and that should have a standalone buy option with no subscription, if you cannot locate it use iPhone to buy the Pro version also works as the purchase applies to ATV (I think).

The other option is buy MrMC which may also work see its settings, its an app store fork of Kodi.

bigalxyz

I've looked into this further now...tested VLC, InFuse and MrMC on a range of different video files with different types of soundtrack.

InFuse (once I've activated a 1 week free subscription) and MrMC Lite both seem to play DD and DTS ok - although my home cinema amp tells me I have a DD signal on DTS soundtracks, which is odd - is there some kind of conversion going on inside the Apple TV? My home cinema amp can detect DTS soundtracks ok so I don't think the problem lies there.

VLC just never seems to send surround sound out, which is disappointing (for me as a long time fan of VLC).

Anyway, the full version of MrMC is very cheap (compared to a paid subscription to InFuse) so perhaps that's the way to go.

next010

Distinguished Member
I've looked into this further now...tested VLC, InFuse and MrMC on a range of different video files with different types of soundtrack.

InFuse (once I've activated a 1 week free subscription) and MrMC Lite both seem to play DD and DTS ok - although my home cinema amp tells me I have a DD signal on DTS soundtracks, which is odd - is there some kind of conversion going on inside the Apple TV? My home cinema amp can detect DTS soundtracks ok so I don't think the problem lies there.

VLC just never seems to send surround sound out, which is disappointing (for me as a long time fan of VLC).

Anyway, the full version of MrMC is very cheap (compared to a paid subscription to InFuse) so perhaps that's the way to go.
ATV does not support DTS so it must be transcoded (converted in real time) into Dolby.

The other way on ATV is to output DTS & DTS-HD as uncompressed PCM 5.1 & 7.1 but this requires a HDMI connection on a sound system or eARC sound system, its not possible with optical.

bigalxyz

Thanks. Yeah at the moment I have an old AV amp with no HDMI support so the sound goes into my TV (via HDMI) and then out to my AV amp (via digital coax). I think a new(er) AV amp might be something I ask Santa Claus to get me for Christmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom