1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VLC and WM9 help..and newbie to HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by museumsteve, May 24, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Just started to take a look at what my PC can do with regards to HC and decided to give VLC and WM9 a bash into my HS20. I got the 1366x768 with powerstrip and very impressed. However when I try VLC I get sound but no image on all stuff. I nabbed some hi-def clips and they're fine but I also found LOTR TT 720p and it wont display an image. I try on Media Player 9 and it works perfectly but I cant seem to get rid of the toolbar/control bar no matter what I do. I'm sure it just used to disappear after a few seconds.
    When I start VLC with LOTR the display/video/option option seems to default to 'disable' yet when I select 'track 1' it doesn't display anything.
    I am a total newbie with HCPC but when I finally saw LOTR running it gave my DVHS player a proper run for it's money IMO and it wasn't even set-up properly.
    Any sensible recommendations as to what I should be looking at running if I wanted to run hi-def stuff seriously from my PC? My PC is a P4 2.6, 1gig DDR ram and a Radeon 9700pro. I use DVI to HS20 with 1:1 mapping (ish)
    :)

2. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Mate,

I would say that you're making life a lot harder for yourself using VLC as it has so many bugs in it. I would suggest Windvd5 Platinum Edition with add on WMVHD is the best "out of the box" solution to use as dvd software and WMVHD playback software. If you already have a software dvd player your happy with then I would try Zoomplayer with their additional WMVHD add on with FFDshow and your favourite software dvd player video and audio choices.

Cheers,

Steve

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I found VLC a bit of a non-starter with those .ts files (assuming that's what Steve is using).IIRC, the LOTR-TT .ts carries an AC3 soundtrack and, for me at least, it wouldn't playback nicely with VLC - sound would start drifting, then VLC would become unresponsive, and killing it would reboot the pc. Nice ;)

I went with the elecard player and decoder for those files (http://www.elecard.com/download/) - I think you can download just the decoder for playback through other players.

Spec-wise, Steve, I'm running a slightly lesser pc (2.4, non-pro Radeon or Matrox, depending on the mood I'm in), and it handles all the hi-def material I've tried without a problem. Even 720p WM9 material. I think it'll baulk at 1080i WM9, but 720p is good enough for me.

Cheers, Carl.