Vizio SB36512-F6 Soundbar Review & Comments

So as I said, despite the misleading name I think the surround mode applies upmixing on non-Atmos Dolby tracks and DTS Virtual:X on DTS tracks.

Ok cheers, will try that.

It's still great on what ever setting to be honest.

Has Dolby decoding chips improved in the last 15 years?

Managed to confuse the Vizio when I kept rewinding The Last Jedi 4K. Sound went off. Had to power cycle. It kept doing it though, until I just used skip back 10 seconds on the Panny remote.

Last edited:
On the LG Sk5r the virtual dts x works on any content afaik, it is a great option on stereo or 5.1 tracks off TV or Netflix/Amazon & uses all speakers to upmix to a decent sound bubble imo. Using disks it seems to really open up as would be expected. I dont think the Sk5r has a Dolby surround upmix tbh, it has a vanilla surround option aka prologic 2 etc & when this option is engaged 5.1 content is played as standard without any dsp.

Whilst looking around for cheap prices I found it for $330 in the US! Also, there looks to be a beefier model available over there, I wonder if that is coming over here?

I'm a bit wary of Vizio, they seem to have a track record of completely abandoning product support. I have a couple of Vizio XR6P10 tablets that whilst worked great, are stuck on Android 6 and Vizio won't release what's needed to unlock/update them. I've just read a review saying this soundbars software can't be updated in the UK, only US.

I’ve had the Samsung HW-950 in, and I’ve been able to compare that to the Vizio. The Vizio is staying and the Samsung is going! The Samsung gives the rears very little to do, coupled with the ginormous bar itself, the front soundstage was far too oppressive for my tiddly room, and the Atmos effect is better with the Vizio than the 950, despite two extra upfirers on it. I think it’s because I sit too close. Be nice if you could adjust the angle like the Yamaha YSP range.

I’ve had the Samsung HW-950 in, and I’ve been able to compare that to the Vizio. The Vizio is staying and the Samsung is going! The Samsung gives the rears very little to do, coupled with the ginormous bar itself, the front soundstage was far too oppressive for my tiddly room, and the Atmos effect is better with the Vizio than the 950, despite two extra upfirers on it. I think it’s because I sit too close. Be nice if you could adjust the angle like the Yamaha YSP range.

Didn't expect that as the Samsung bar was top of the range. I guess technology moves at such a rate a new middle of the range product can outperform an old to of the range product.

Didn't expect that as the Samsung bar was top of the range. I guess technology moves at such a rate a new middle of the range product can outperform an old to of the range product.
If I had a bigger room for the sound to fill it would probably be more appropriate. It would look and sound fantastic on a larger open plan type arrangement. But, frankly it looked a bit ridiculous in my small box room. I don't think there's any doubt it's superior in terms of specs. I just can't take advantage of it, especially the Atmos effect, which is way superior on the Vizio. I must be well outside the sweet spot for the huge samsung. The real big issue though is the lack of engagement from the rears. Having a look around it seems to be a very common complaint. I suppose it might just be more accurately mapping the channels but it was very quiet compared to the Vizio. Perhaps the extra two side channels (which are utterly pointless on a bar) are removing some of the object based emphasis the rears may have pushed out.

OMG!

Just watching San Andreas and decided to turn the rear speakers off. It's as if the rears are still on, with sound coming from right over my head!

WOW!

I didn't think it would be that effective.

Is it still possible to buy these, can’t find them! :(

Only 1 left @ Amazon!

Weighing up this set up with a Sonos beam and 1’s setup. There are so many sound bars on the market it’s so confusing.

Any instock anywhere?

whats the best setup for cable box, nvidia sheild 2019, and sb3651-e6
I'd stick the shield straight into the bar and use ARC for the cable box. I'm assuming the cable box can't do Atmos, and the shield will obviously cover all your streaming options.

I am reading about soundbar reviews and this one seems to be a good option for my budget, but I can't seem to see it in stock anywhere in the UK... any recommendations, please ?
I think this could be a good match for my TV Panasonic TX-55FZ802b

I am reading about soundbar reviews and this one seems to be a good option for my budget, but I can't seem to see it in stock anywhere in the UK... any recommendations, please ?
I think this could be a good match for my TV Panasonic TX-55FZ802b
You can find the TCL 9030 also which has good reviews but not the rears.

Weighing up this set up with a Sonos beam and 1’s setup. There are so many sound bars on the market it’s so confusing.
It is bud, the sonus though is incredibly well reviewed , good value and upgradable with rears and a sub should you feel the need, the entire echo system works really well and allows for expansion throughout the home.

Hi Steve and team,
What's your thought if we compare SB36512-F6 vs Samsung HW-q70t with rear speakers?

I've seen these for sale on Ebay btw.

Has anyone managed to update theirs?

I finally managed to track down the latest firmware from one of their websites. I couldn't find it before, or get it to work.

I downloaded it to my pc and then installed from a USB, plugged into the soundbar.

Amazon Atmos seems to work now?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom