Vizio SB36512-F6 Soundbar Review & Comments

pat clancy

I'm tempted by a sound bar but I love the wide separation of a front left and right speaker. A sound bar will never replicate that.
And rear speakers is a must for 5.1 sound ,don't let anyone tell you any different.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
So I've bought the Vizio after all and will be arriving tomorrow. I'm half expecting to send it back but all the reviews have been so positive that I've decided to roll the dice.

sneakyweeone

So I've bought the Vizio after all and will be arriving tomorrow. I'm half expecting to send it back but all the reviews have been so positive that I've decided to roll the dice.
Look forward to hearing how it works.

george1976

I wouldn't be so negative mate, if you set it up with that state of mind, you will find things that you don't like, like my lines on 5% grey on the Oled that I never see otherwise......

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't be so negative mate, if you set it up with that state of mind, you will find things that you don't like, like my lines on 5% grey on the Oled that I never see otherwise......
My main concern is that it seriously underperforms compared to my current yamaha 2500 with regard the front firing soundstage. If it can get close to matching that while offering the surround immersion I'll be more than happy. My OLED definitely has some lines but it doesn't really bother me. I know it would be more than enough for many to send it back. If that's any yardstick of tolerance!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Can you use night modes with Dolby Atmos?
No you can't, you can only use the various sound modes with non-Atmos content.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Arrived and set up today. Main problem is that there is zero Atmos effect. I can test the ‘height speakers’ from within the app and it just sounds like it‘s coming from straight ahead. My room should be perfect. Square, low flat ceiling. Only thing I can think off is perhaps I’m too close, around 6 feet away. The rest of the package is decent, the sound belies the dimensions. Fairly expansive front soundstage, not quite as good as my Yamaha 2500. The small surrounds are decent and it‘s nice to have the rears back again, the sub is very boomy. had to turn it down! My issue is that I’ve basically paid £600 for a 5.1 soundbar, with slightly inferior forward sound. I’m really reluctant to go for the more expensive Samsung or LG if I’ll have the same lack of Atmos effect.

sneakyweeone

Looks like it will be going [email protected]
LG seems to have issues as well esp. with LG earc surprisingly.
I'm actually getting swayed to look at the B&O soundstage as an all in one package.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Gutted for you @BrightonChris ! I definitely get overhead effects from the JBL.
Every review I read mentioned the Vizio excelling with overhead effects so I had high hopes. I am a little gutted, I just don’t know if it‘s the speaker or my room. I could try moving it to the lounge and test it in there, but it’ll drive my GF crazy as she hates me playing around with this stuff.
Looks like it will be going [email protected]
LG seems to have issues as well esp. with LG earc surprisingly.
I'm actually getting swayed to look at the B&O soundstage as an all in one package.
I think it will. I didn’t even mention the absolute sh*tshow of trying to connect it to the app. Very buggy software. I’ve got until the end of July to return it. I’m not thrilled with the prospect of spending over a grand on a higher spec package though.

SmAShY

The JBL has upward firing speakers in the front and back which might make the difference?

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
The JBL has upward firing speakers in the front and back which might make the difference?
That did occur to me. If the JBL comes back into stock at curry's before the return period then I think I might well go for it. It's a good deal with the effectively free TV I would get. I wouldn't pay a grand for the bar alone though.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Hi.
What source and material did you try Chris?
Not got mine yet.
Hi. I've got an ATV4k which I've connected straight to the soundbar. Sources are netflix and Disney+ (US streams via DNS). It was definitely receiving an atmos signal as it came up as such on the input information and my C8.

atmoscinema

Techradar does say there is a small Atmos sweet spot, wherever that is?

What colour Is the Atmos light?

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Techradar does say you there is a small sweet spot, wherever that is?

Is the Atmos light orange?

I've now cancelled my order for it.
Green light I think. The lights are a so arcane I haven't looked at what they all mean. I just relied on the app to show the source. Definitely said atmos.

MARFW

Arrived and set up today. Main problem is that there is zero Atmos effect. I can test the ‘height speakers’ from within the app and it just sounds like it‘s coming from straight ahead. My room should be perfect. Square, low flat ceiling. Only thing I can think off is perhaps I’m too close, around 6 feet away. The rest of the package is decent, the sound belies the dimensions. Fairly expansive front soundstage, not quite as good as my Yamaha 2500. The small surrounds are decent and it‘s nice to have the rears back again, the sub is very boomy. had to turn it down! My issue is that I’ve basically paid £600 for a 5.1 soundbar, with slightly inferior forward sound. I’m really reluctant to go for the more expensive Samsung or LG if I’ll have the same lack of Atmos effect.
Crap, I really had high hopes for this one due to its relatively small size, but now I'm really concerned as my viewing distance is also about 6 feet and if you say there's no discernible atmos effect then it really is overpiced at £600.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Crap, I really had high hopes for this one due to its relatively small size, but now I'm really concerned as my viewing distance is also about 6 feet and if you say there's no discernible atmos effect then it really is overpiced at £600.
I wouldn't dismiss it just based on my experience. Every review suggests it offers good overhead effects. Must be a problem my end.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I wouldn't dismiss it just based on my experience. Every review suggests it offers good overhead effects. Must be a problem my end.
What Atmos content have you actually used with the Vizio? It's fair to say that a lot of Atmos soundtracks don't make much use of the overhead channels, and can often be underwhelming. In reviews I use a couple of Dolby Atmos test discs, along with various Blu-rays and 4K discs with which I'm familiar.

MARFW

I bit the bullet and ordered myself a set after all, arrives on Saturday so I'll let you know what I think.

What Atmos content have you actually used with the Vizio? It's fair to say that a lot of Atmos soundtracks don't make much use of the overhead channels, and can often be underwhelming. In reviews I use a couple of Dolby Atmos test discs, along with various Blu-rays and 4K discs with which I'm familiar.
Steve, other than the atmos test disc, what mainstream films would you recommend for testing the atmos capabilities of the soundbar?

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Fair point Steve. Worth noting I've never had atmos so I've no point of reference either. I can only get true atmos through my AppleTV as my C8 doesn't have eARC. So I've tried a few things on Disney and netflix. (Accessing the US streams via DNS). If you can recommend any particular scenes from either of those services I would appreciate it. Or any films I can rent from iTunes that make good use of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299