Question Vizio M-Series vs TCL P-Series

lifereinspired

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

(I'm not new to these forums, been a member since 2008 but suddenly, my account cannot be found. So I had no choice but to reregister as new. :( )

We're looking for a bedroom TV in the 50"-55" range. Because it's the bedroom TV, we're not looking for the absolute best possible picture we can get at all costs. But we're looking to get most of the current technology so we don't have to upgrade for awhile after. :)

We between the Vizio M-Series 50" for $499 (USD) and the TCL P-Series 55" for $599 (though we should be able to get the $50 cashback from RetailMeNot). Can't decide between them. We found out that (stupidly) Vizio made HDMI 1 the ONLY 4K input and also the only ARC input. So you can't connect to a soundbar via HDMI and use 4K. I don't suppose it matters all that much to have to do the soundbar via optical digital instead but it's still irrititating. The other option is paying more for the TCL. It's a little larger, should have 4K on all inputs (though apparently, you have to call them PC input for it to register as 4K, or so an article says online), and 72 LED blackout zones to the 32 of the Vizio (though one article I read gave this particular nod to Vizio who has fine-tuned the blackout algorhythm for several years now). The reason we like both of these sets is that they have true 4K panel with HDR10 as well as Dolby Vision support. We don't love the interface of the Vizio but do have both 1st Gen FireTV box (with issues) as well as Roku 3. We may consider taking our Roku 4 back there from the LR but it doesn't actually have HDR support, just 4K. I suppose that's one other item in the favor of the TCL as the Roku interface should support both 4K & HDR from the get go, right?

These both seem to be the current favorites for a budget 4K true HDR (with both major technologies), from what I've read. I'd love to hear some thoughts about it from the knowledgeable folks here. I did search and found no threads at all comparing these two. Thanks so much in advance!

Vizio and TCL brands are generally unavailable in the UK.

It's possible you we're registered on avsforum, not here.

Very limited knowledge in the UK with TCL or vizio as they aren't sold here.

The TV for sure to look for if you want the best bet on a budget will be the Sony X900E.

rtings.com is a good source to compare tv's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom