Vivitek H9080FD LED DLP Projector Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Phil Hinton
As a new technology and a high-end projector, the Vivitek offers reference levels of colour performance and greyscale calibration. It offers superb sharpness to images and a good amount of detail. Black levels could be a little better and dynamic range is slightly weak, but as an overall product and the first of the LED push, it is a good all-rounder that offers performance levels that better the majority of the consumer market models. We can highly recommend that if you are in the market for a high-end solution you have a look at the H9080FD
Read the full review...

Frankly, the standard of this review is exactly why I come to AVF. Without reservation, that's superb and comprehensive - well done (yet again) Phil. :thumbsup:

A few of quick questions, if that's okay. Firstly, you say no RBE. Is that a definitive absolute as far as you're concerned? Did you try a lot of b&w viewing? Sin City with your head shaken violently from side-to-side like you're at a Motorhead concert? Did anyone else manage to have a look? How prone are you to RBE usually?

Secondly, you compared it to the 750, and it came out level in some area but not as good for inky blacks. Is that the only real difference? Was this better than the 750 in any way? Whilst the 750 was better with blacks, did this come quite close?

Finally, it could be argued that, if you're wanting a comparison for high end DLP projectors the competition is a £20k 3-chip Sim2 C3X. How does this match up to a Sim2? It is, after all, half the price.

Cheers, and once again, well done.

Steve W

Firstly, you say no RBE. Is that a definitive absolute as far as you're concerned? Did you try a lot of b&w viewing? Sin City with your head shaken violently from side-to-side like you're at a Motorhead concert? Did anyone else manage to have a look? How prone are you to RBE usually?

I did the usual tests for RBE (I am quite prone to seeing it on some single chips) and the only way I could introduce any RBE effect was using my hand as a shutter. (Sitting waving my hand in front of my face - not something you would ever do and the only reason to try is to see how quickly it is moving).

Secondly, you compared it to the 750, and it came out level in some area but not as good for inky blacks. Is that the only real difference? Was this better than the 750 in any way? Whilst the 750 was better with blacks, did this come quite close?
The HD750 has a higher dynamic range and better gradation of black (Greyscale) in the lower reaches. So you would see finer detail and more depth to the JVC where the H9080FD after a certain point would almost merge and image depth would be somewhat compromised. (Not clipping)

Finally, it could be argued that, if you're wanting a comparison for high end DLP projectors the competition is a £20k 3-chip Sim2 C3X. How does this match up to a Sim2? It is, after all, half the price.
Without seeing each in the same room and calibrated it would be speculation based on previous viewings of the C3X. If Sim2 want to send one in for evaluation they are more than welcome and we have asked in the past. As the Vivitek is closer in money to the JVC it was a fair test I felt - especially with the bargain pricing now available for our reference model.

Cheers, and once again, well done.

Steve W

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Cheers. One more question, Phil.

You say:

There is always an underlying level of light spill even on complete 0ire fields, the LEDs do not switch off completely. And there is a good reason for that as the projector needs to maintain a video black level when in use. Sadly the black levels are not as deep, detailed or fluid as the JVC.

Will this always be a problem with LEDs? I don't understand why they can't turn off fully to maintain a video black level. Why not just tell the PJ that when no signal is sent above where you set black level (brightness) they don't turn on at all?

Steve W

Hi Phil.

Good review.

I was fortunate to see the Vivitek in my dem room a couple of days ago when Brian Wood of Rapesco popped down with it ( same unit that you borrowed )

The overall perfomance exceeded my expectations and I found the colour performance outstanding.

Can't wait to see other offerings from the likes of SIM2 in the near future.

The begining of a new era in front projection.

Regards, Jeff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom